Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-01-2022, 03:42 PM
JA

As if things aren't hard enough ....

As if things aren't hard enough with getting good weather, free time, Starlink et al, make it that bit more difficult, or atleast will do in the near future, to take the wonderful astro image you're chasing....

https://au.pcmag.com/networking/9197...tronomy-images

I know that with time the satellites will spread out somewhat, however the more there are up there the greater the chance of a ruined sub. Infact it could be argued that it may be better for them to remain together to ruin fewer subs, who knows? Not so good either way. I'd be more than happy to see the internet run by way of ground based networks and space left for military, aviation, aerospace, weather and other comms. The counter to that would be that ground based systems are prone to damage by weather and other catastrophes, such as the Volcanic eruption in Tonga which has taken lives, created widespread damage and severed an (THE) undersea comms cable. Still space satellites are not impervious to damage either by space junk, solar flares or covert attack by unfriendly types.

Best
JA
Old 19-01-2022, 05:03 PM
AdamJL

There was a recent thread about this
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...d.php?t=196241
But I'm really glad more websites, especially mainstream ones like PCMag are starting to cover this big problem.

Does anyone know the size of the satellite needed to trigger a streak?
In this video, which mentioned a lot of satellites being launched, some of them were just 5cm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaCdVJ7ghk8
Old 20-01-2022, 06:22 AM
leon

Have to agree, that is pretty sad.

Leon
Old 20-01-2022, 02:59 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

On the plus side Elon is going to use the StarLink cash to further develop Starship to enable us to return to the Moon, go to Mars, send massive cheaper science payloads to anywhere in the solar system, enable the launch of multiple unprecedented sized space telescopes and expand internet coverage to every remote community on Earth. I'm not big on imaging anyway and also not getting any younger so Go Elon Go!. I can't wait any longer for humanity to get up off it's fat lazy bottom and get out there into space proper.
Old 20-01-2022, 03:04 PM
Pepper (Steve)

Had 25 out of 30 subs ruined the other night.
Couldn’t catch a break.
There should have been some more research into how they would affect the night sky before they were commissioned.
Typical though of the greedy rich.