Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2022, 09:05 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

Filter Offsets and New Camera

I feel this is a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

I currently have filter offsets setup in SGP for current imaging train. It took two nights to set it up to my liking but it works really well now. Saves me a tonne of time, since I am focusing with just the luminance filter and also since I'm cycling I can dither every 3 or 4 frames.

Now to the crux of the question. I feel that the camera has no bearing on the filter offsets, so changing out my ZWO 183MM for a ZWO 294MM shouldn't affect my SGP filter offset settings. Everything else in the imaging train would remain the same, I'd just switch out the cameras. Am I correct?
Old 07-01-2022, 02:10 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Hi Paul.

I would say you are correct.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:15 AM
Paulyman (Paul)

Thanks Joshua. I guess the only way to be sure will be to take off the 183 and pop on the 294. If I sell the 183 I might even survive long enough to try it out before being killed off by the wife.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:18 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I would say your thought, and Josh's answer would be right, the offset is a physical distance translated in to steps of your focus motor so changing the camera should not change the offset. The only thing might be if you went from large pixels to small ones and an offset that was "good enough" with the bigger pixels needed refining for smaller ones (Which could allow you to see if you had missed the critical focus zone by a little where the bigger pixels didn't)

I know what you mean about the wife, I would love to replace my ASI2600MC with an MM, but I am quite sure she would notice it had grown a filter wheel.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:32 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyman View Post
Now to the crux of the question. I feel that the camera has no bearing on the filter offsets, so changing out my ZWO 183MM for a ZWO 294MM shouldn't affect my SGP filter offset settings. Everything else in the imaging train would remain the same, I'd just switch out the cameras. Am I correct?
Paul, you are more than likely correct, the only caveat being if the cameras themselves or more particularly the protective (antireflective?) glass (the one screwed to the camera body) or the camera sensor protective glass (cemented to the sensor) differ significantly, in optical terms, between both cameras then you may see some difference.
Other than that, you should be good.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 09-01-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:02 PM
Paulyman (Paul)

Cheers all. Sounds promising, the pixels in the 294 are much larger than the 183MM in BIN2 mode and slightly smaller in BIN1 mode. I only had 10-12 nights of clear skies last year and so far this year seems more of the same so I guess I may as well make the jump while the clouds gods are already unhappy with us all.