Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 18-11-2021, 06:17 PM
Addos (Adam)

the learning curve in pix is not understated, and i resisted for a while based on that, and its cost. if youre interested in learning it Adam Block, Shaun (Visibledark), Jon Rista and Mark Shelley have published various guides, youtube videos explaining the various processes and their proper sequencing. Adam, Jon and Mark have also all contributed to the program's development over the years, so you can trust their guidance.

that said, i started using it in august. 3 months later, and ive completely replaced photoshop with it. once learned, its incredibly powerful and constantly being updated. its utility is also not understated.

i still do preprocessing in dss. that remains much less time instensive in terms of setup and processing time, and i dont observe significant differences in output from pix.

vote here is - worth it.

Last edited by Addos; 18-11-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 18-11-2021, 08:56 PM
Stephane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addos View Post
the learning curve in pix is not understated, and i resisted for a while based on that, and its cost. if youre interested in learning it Adam Block, Shaun (Visibledark), Jon Rista and Mark Shelley have published various guides, youtube videos explaining the various processes and their proper sequencing. Adam, Jon and Mark have also all contributed to the program's development over the years, so you can trust their guidance.

that said, i started using it in august. 3 months later, and ive completely replaced photoshop with it. once learned, its incredibly powerful and constantly being updated. its utility is also not understated.

i still do preprocessing in dss. that remains much less time instensive in terms of setup and processing time, and i dont observe significant differences in output from pix.

vote here is - worth it.
Thanks Adam, I’ve downloaded the trial version of PI and am actually really enjoying the learning curve. I have some untracked milkyway shots I took a couple of months ago which I’ve been practicing my processing on, as well as some raw subs from Nico Carver. There are so many great YouTube videos out there with well-explained workflows.

Once the trial runs out, I will try out Startools and give that a fair go. Hopefully by then I can make an informed decision.

So far, I love PI and have only scratched its surface. I will however keep an open mind until I have given Startools a shot.

Many thanks,
Stéphane