Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 25-01-2022, 09:20 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

🌹/ 💀 Nebula - trying out Starizona Nexus 0.75x CC

Hi all,

Not a lot of data (again), and def not without flaws (see star shapes from a pinched primary mirror), but i am impressed with the detail the 10" quattro can pull out with it, especially the bok globules. Will post again soon using the Starizona Nexus without the pinched optics so we can see if it succeeds in turning an f/4 Newt into an f/3 RASA-lite.

Quattro 10" f4 (with Starizona Nexus cc:750mm f/3), eq6r pro, astrodon 31mm filters, efw, asi2600mm pro.
Just over 2 hours of data.

Slightly better quality version

Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (PM12_FINAL - IIS.jpg)
191.7 KB424 views
Click for full-size image (PM12 - Fullsize - Starless~2_resize_85.jpg)
185.3 KB298 views

Last edited by Emuhead; 26-01-2022 at 10:40 AM.
Old 25-01-2022, 10:54 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

A pity the optics are not up to par and deliver triangular stars....as the image is otherwise quite tidy.

Is there a "pinch" fix in the works?
Old 26-01-2022, 06:15 AM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
A pity the optics are not up to par and deliver triangular stars....as the image is otherwise quite tidy.

Is there a "pinch" fix in the works?
Thanks Peter. I've released all pressure from the primary mirror clips & hopefully that does the trick.
Old 26-01-2022, 09:49 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Technical issues aside, the colour palette is lovely
Old 26-01-2022, 10:43 AM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Technical issues aside, the colour palette is lovely

Thanks Andy, and i think that's what i like the most too. I'll def be going back to get a quality image of this target soon and post that for a comparison. It has to be done, a right of passage almost.

Have added a starless version also.
Old 26-01-2022, 05:32 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

spectacular!, excellent detail and colour!
Old 26-01-2022, 08:26 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
spectacular!, excellent detail and colour!
Thanks Fred, glad you like it.
Old 27-01-2022, 08:13 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

The fine details in the nebula are superb. Careful, subtle processing. Very well done.
Old 27-01-2022, 10:11 AM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
The fine details in the nebula are superb. Careful, subtle processing. Very well done.
Thanks Mike and Trish. I knew i had something so was keen to share it regardless of the triangular stars, which I'll def fix.
Old 28-01-2022, 09:44 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Yeah very nice Andrew, the fine dusty features that make the Rosette so intriguing look awesome. If you can fix those stars, you will be in business, even so, still looks good

Mike
Old 29-01-2022, 11:00 AM
Prickly

Hi Andrew

Really awesome image. Certainly a very positive review of the starizona corrector. Should make a really terrific imaging package for you. You are almost in hyperstar territory there! Looks like you have got the corrector spacing pretty spot on.

I have a quattro 10 inch too and must spend some more time with it. Collimation has been an issue for me and still working through that one. I imagine you have to be even more pedantic at f3.

There is always something to work on isnt there. Look forward to seeing some more of your shots.

Cheers
David
Old 29-01-2022, 12:39 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yeah very nice Andrew, the fine dusty features that make the Rosette so intriguing look awesome. If you can fix those stars, you will be in business, even so, still looks good

Mike
Thanks Mike, the stars are the #1 on my radar, I'll fix them. I'm hopeful i already have, next will be experimenting to see just how flats can save me cropping third image as much. Glad you like it.
Old 29-01-2022, 12:43 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly View Post
Hi Andrew

Really awesome image. Certainly a very positive review of the starizona corrector. Should make a really terrific imaging package for you. You are almost in hyperstar territory there! Looks like you have got the corrector spacing pretty spot on.

I have a quattro 10 inch too and must spend some more time with it. Collimation has been an issue for me and still working through that one. I imagine you have to be even more pedantic at f3.

There is always something to work on isnt there. Look forward to seeing some more of your shots.

Cheers
David
Hi David, thanks!

A proper review will come in the subsequent image as id like to see how much vignetting it introduces and if the stars are still nice & round (after the star fix).

Collimation has been a non-issue ever since i got the TS Concenter eyepiece & Catseye Infinity tools. My images have never been sharper. I don't use lasers anymore. If you can get your hands on those, that should help.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 30-01-2022, 12:46 PM
Prickly

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the tip. Look forward to seeing more on the reducer.

Cheers
David
Old 31-01-2022, 01:28 PM
AdamJL

I missed this. What a fantastic image, triangle stars aside.

100% with Andy on this one because that colour palette is perfect. Really great image, nice one!

What filters did you use all up?
Old 31-01-2022, 03:40 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
I missed this. What a fantastic image, triangle stars aside.

100% with Andy on this one because that colour palette is perfect. Really great image, nice one!

What filters did you use all up?
Thanks Adam

I'll be shooting this again and adding more time to it, but will keep the colour palette consistent.

Just the 3 narrowband filters this time, 3nm astrodons. Praise be. lol.

Cheers,
Old 18-02-2022, 08:49 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

A very nice Rosette. Good luck with the optics! A fast newt is not an easy beast to tame especially using a hefty camera with a nice big APSC sensor… Still I hope it all just falls into place and the next run is everything you hope for :-) Do you get much vignetting with the 31mm filters?
Old 18-02-2022, 09:16 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
A very nice Rosette. Good luck with the optics! A fast newt is not an easy beast to tame especially using a hefty camera with a nice big APSC sensor… Still I hope it all just falls into place and the next run is everything you hope for :-) Do you get much vignetting with the 31mm filters?

Thanks Ben 👍

Have seen a few of your images on astrobin too actually. Quality work consistently. So to answer your question, i can get away with 31mm filters with a Skywatcher Aplanatic Coma Corrector, but def do get vignetting with a Paracorr II or the Starizona Nexus f3 reducer. The latter two have to have the focuser racked out a lot further than with the SWCC. If i could, id like to try a larger focuser on the quattro to rule out whether it's vignetting caused by the 2" focuser or not. Thanks though, for now, I'll have to crop when using the f3 Nexus with the 2600mm, or perhaps drop back to 1600mm 4/3 sensor.
Old 18-02-2022, 10:29 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuhead View Post
Thanks Ben 👍

Have seen a few of your images on astrobin too actually. Quality work consistently. So to answer your question, i can get away with 31mm filters with a Skywatcher Aplanatic Coma Corrector, but def do get vignetting with a Paracorr II or the Starizona Nexus f3 reducer. The latter two have to have the focuser racked out a lot further than with the SWCC. If i could, id like to try a larger focuser on the quattro to rule out whether it's vignetting caused by the 2" focuser or not. Thanks though, for now, I'll have to crop when using the f3 Nexus with the 2600mm, or perhaps drop back to 1600mm 4/3 sensor.
That’s great to know. Hopefully with that mirror freed up things will resolve themselves If not I’m part of a small messenger group chat called the “Newt Rehab Support Group”! Many a Newt has been saved from ending up at the bottom of a nearby swimming pool!!!
Old 21-03-2023, 09:41 PM
Michael_Bibby (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuhead View Post
Hi all,

Not a lot of data (again), and def not without flaws (see star shapes from a pinched primary mirror), but i am impressed with the detail the 10" quattro can pull out with it, especially the bok globules. Will post again soon using the Starizona Nexus without the pinched optics so we can see if it succeeds in turning an f/4 Newt into an f/3 RASA-lite.

Quattro 10" f4 (with Starizona Nexus cc:750mm f/3), eq6r pro, astrodon 31mm filters, efw, asi2600mm pro.
Just over 2 hours of data.

Slightly better quality version

I haven't heard any long term reviews of the Nexus on F4 and F5 scopes. I looked at your astrobin page and your images on the Quattro were usually with the Skywatcher Aplanatic CC. Do you prefer this one over the Nexus?