Old 29-12-2021, 08:51 AM
DennisArch

Skywatcher Adventurer

Hello,
I would like to ask what is probably a basic question, however I need to understand the tracking and focus functions of the Skywatch Star Adventurer kit.
When using the Skywatcher Star Adventurer,
1. Lineup mount and tracker with the Southern Star point.
2. Assemble the rest of the kit, balance if required etc..
Now this is all in one piece- does the mount stay locked into the same reference point and the lens aligned and focused on the object? (The moon in my case).
Is it then simply a case of turning the tracker on and proceeding to take photos.

My understanding of the tracking function is limited at the moment. The moon varies it’s rise and set point and travel direction. If the mount is always in the same geo spot and alignment spot how do I account for that variation?
Thank you for your time and help, have a safe and happy New Year.
Kind regards, Dennis Arch.

Last edited by DennisArch; 29-12-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 29-12-2021, 04:52 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

I don't own one of these Dennis but basically they're just a small EQ mount so the same set up procedures apply to this as the bigger ones. Once you think you have the mount close to pointing at the SCP, level your mount with whatever the mount has to accomplish this. (bubble level?)
Quote:
Now this is all in one piece- does the mount stay locked into the same reference point and the lens aligned and focused on the object?
Yes.
Quote:
Is it then simply a case of turning the tracker on and proceeding to take photos.
Yes, but only if you've polar aligned the mount after you have levelled it.
Quote:
If the mount is always in the same geo spot and alignment spot how do I account for that variation
The mount, if it has GOTO functionality, will find the moon from your home position once you tell it to, which is where you should be now before you start observing. If you don't have GOTO, don't move the mount, leave it in this aligned home position. Just loosen the clutches and manually slew the telescope to where the moon is in the sky and once locked in, it should track it for you.

Others may offer better advice on this for you.

Last edited by Mickoid; 29-12-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 29-12-2021, 08:05 PM
DennisArch

Many thanks

Thanks Mick, that answers my question nicely.

A new moon cycle and clearer nights, all I could wish for.
Kind regards, Dennis Arch.
Old 29-12-2021, 08:11 PM
Todo43 (Lachlan)

Hi Dennis,

Your setup procedure looks correct.

In regards to the moon, there is a declination knob that turns the setup to whatever declination you are after. The moon will not moon enough in the declination axis over the course of the session enough to be noticable. If you are worried about the variation of rise and set points, you can move the camera to those points using the declination bracket.

The tracking function of the mount for the moon, is the rate that the moon moves across the sky. It moves at about 0.5 degrees per hour compared to the other stars around it.

Hope this helps you

Lachlan
Old 30-12-2021, 09:27 AM
DennisArch

Thanks Lachlan,

It is helpful, some the higher level basic info is a little hard to find on the search engines.

Using multiple exposures in same bracket gives up to six shots. They stack together ok and have produced some fine images. However a reset of the camera is required for the next group.
I am wanting to get more shots to stack using a lower powered lens.
400 f5.6 Canon rather than plus a 1.4x converter.
Happy New Year to the readers and respondents,
Dennis A.