Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 02-07-2021, 02:50 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I spoke to John at Bintel and he said in addition to filters he is waiting on filter drawers as well and that he will sort it all out for me...
I can probably still take a photo by leaving out the filter drawer and filters....anyways I need to get my hands on the new lap top and download drivers etc...still plenty to do and of course the weather does no look too flash...still happy as.
Edit..I thought it was a 42 but my micrometre said 41...but with no battery can I trust it.
Alex
Old 15-07-2021, 10:36 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Rather than a new thread ( although this event deserves one) I post a report on progress here.

I was planning a work day at the observatory but my assistant called in sick but thats ok it is a bleak winter day threatening rain...however I was already there so I connected the ZWO2600 to the RASA with bits that came in the box, pointed at some distant trees, really expecting disappointment however a blob appeared on screen (Sharpcap) ... Still not expecting much wound out the focus and overwhelming joy to see leaves clear as on screen...so entirely worn out and fearing I could faint from carrying the lap top from the car I dismantled it all covered up, locked up and rushed back here before I pass out...
The mount needs yet another counter weight so I am pushing things a lot.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20210715084857_resize_76.jpg)
101.4 KB57 views
Old 15-07-2021, 05:57 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Testing for connectivity and functionality of your all equipment during the day , be it in small steps , is key to a successful first night out imaging with your new rig
Take as much time as you need and tick off each step until your ready for the big night , I don’t need to tell you that anyway
Looks very exciting so far , your making good progress
Best
Martin
Old 17-07-2021, 12:52 PM
Constant (David)

Little by little

Alex, I'm chronically ill, very different to your situation, however.... I've found the "trick" is try and complete no more than one task per day.
Some days maybe more, sometimes less. The upside, the satisfaction in completing a project
Old 17-07-2021, 01:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant View Post
Alex, I'm chronically ill, very different to your situation, however.... I've found the "trick" is try and complete no more than one task per day.
Some days maybe more, sometimes less. The upside, the satisfaction in completing a project
Excellent advice.

When in business each day I made a list of six most important things, working out what is really important is the key... which seems so few but it was surprising just how many interuptions stood between achieving that goal and missing them all...and these days I go for only one a day, but as simple as that sounds rarely do I achieve same...it was near two weeks to try that camera on the scope.

My life now turns on taking my 11 am meds anything more is fantastic.

Sorry to hear you are not too flash and thanks for taking the time to help me I very much appreciate it...more than you can know...particularly today...could not have been more timely.

Thanks heaps.

Alex
Old 17-07-2021, 02:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

One thing I thought could come with the scope is a bracket or the like, in place for your camera cable (s) ... It seems ( from Rays Astronomy youtube chanel) one merely attaches a section of wire from a coat hanger which ok that will work but given the prettyness of the unit it seems just wrong.

So I will spend some time working out first a dew shield, with a door to access the filter drawer, incorporating flash cable management...taking darks and flats will not be simple it seems...
So while I wait for the filters there is plenty to do...but if I had them I would grab a coat hanger and duct tape and see what it can do...
Alex
Old 18-07-2021, 10:42 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I know that there used to be some 3D printer files available for a curved cable guide to attach to the normal SCT with a hyperstar, there might be something similar for the RASA.
Old 18-07-2021, 10:46 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
I know that there used to be some 3D printer files available for a curved cable guide to attach to the normal SCT with a hyperstar, there might be something similar for the RASA.
Thank you Paul.
Alex
Old 18-07-2021, 10:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It is getting tiresome waiting for the filters..even a drawer that would take the filters that you sent would be helpful.
Anyways I wont let it spoil my day but having everything but cant use it because of one part missing in the chain...anyways I am too crook to take photos yet so it doesn't matter really...I need to get on and design the dew shield etc....and find a coat hanger and duct tape
Alex
Old 21-07-2021, 02:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Cant wait for these damn filters so I bought a one shot colour ZWO2600 so maybe get something happening ...
Alex
Old 21-07-2021, 11:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It is a clear night but I found two reasons not to try out the new one colour shot camera..its very Moonlight, is it me or is it brighter than usual and it is so damn cold...one of the side effects of my cancer meds is a increased sensitivity to the cold...thats for sure...these days 18 c is cold..plus not eating does not help..anyways with this additional camera I can actually do some imaging if I want which helps plus I wont fret about having a scope that I cant use..I hate annoying John st Bintel asking have my filters arrived...he would let me know immediately but you know you just have to call...I pity them at Bintel trying to cope during this virus thing...AND plus now most of my scopes can have a dedicated camera...see I said its like golf ..you need a bag of clubs Having the cancer has taken away my tight fisted approach to money and makes one realise my signature hereunder has hidden meaning.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 22-07-2021 at 12:07 AM.
Old 22-07-2021, 12:27 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
I’m currently imaging the Statue of Liberty nebula and then Dragons of Ara with my 2600MC and L Extreme filter
Moon is overhead and yes extremely bright
Not sure about using the 2600MC with an L Extreme OSC narrowband filter on your RASA at f2
L Extreme works great with my f5 and f6 newts pushing anywhere between 2 and 5 minute subs , however you need at least 3 to 4 hours of data to process a decent image
The 2600MM will be so much better with the right filters and with shorter subs too
Tonight I’ve set my 2600MC in Ascom to Gain 100 ( lowest read noise) to see if it’s any better than Gain 0 or highest dynamic range which I normally use
Don’t worry about ringing Bintel all the time , that’s what they are there for , to improve customer service , they sometimes need a little push now and again
John and Don are great to deal with , always accomodating

Best
Martin
Old 22-07-2021, 04:24 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am not sure if I communicated this clearly enough but I I now have both the ZWO 2600 MM and the ZWO 2600 MC ..both with out filter drawers..
I am hopeful of using the MC without any filters.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 22-07-2021 at 04:34 AM.
Old 22-07-2021, 07:07 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I am not sure if I communicated this clearly enough but I I now have both the ZWO 2600 MM and the ZWO 2600 MC ..both with out filter drawers..
I am hopeful of using the MC without any filters.
Alex
Alex, at least you could get started with the MC, and start collecting data and producing images. It would obviously satisfy that "itch" you have to get back to it asap.
Old 22-07-2021, 09:26 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Alex, at least you could get started with the MC, and start collecting data and producing images. It would obviously satisfy that "itch" you have to get back to it asap.
Thats what I am hoping for Glen...its been way too long and to see lovely clear nights come and go unused is not helping....and the last day or so I think I may manage so I want to try. I have heaps of hand warmers which you can stick on your clothes and they really work very well....on an aside...going great with the guitar as I can go from rythem to lead and back and forth and it has taken me years to nail that...the turning point was playing off the root notes which changed it somehow from just playing a scale..still use the scale as reference of course...and seeing my Son and grand kids later today so I hope to have him come to the observatory while I try for maybe 30 minutes testing...if I get permission
Alex
Old 22-07-2021, 10:57 AM
JohnF (John)

Saw a Youtube ages ago where the man had made a lift in order to lift a large Cassegrain telescope into his car boot.

Maybe you could think along those lines for yours.
Old 22-07-2021, 11:24 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Saw a Youtube ages ago where the man had made a lift in order to lift a large Cassegrain telescope into his car boot.

Maybe you could think along those lines for yours.
I have various things like that John..two small endless chains and a small block and tackle I made up from pulleys from Bunnings ..to get stuff in the car I have a little ramp...just have to think thru...however I need an anchor point above the pier...I had others put the scope up for me which was novel as I have not used help in the past.
Alexp
Old 22-07-2021, 05:57 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Alex, what about a light weight engine crane? Quick search of the web get you a $260 2ton folding engine crane. Way more than you need apart from the height it will give you.

Fold away and wheels etc, could be what your after if you have slabs to work on.

Steve
Old 22-07-2021, 06:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
Hello,

Alex, what about a light weight engine crane? Quick search of the web get you a $260 2ton folding engine crane. Way more than you need apart from the height it will give you.

Fold away and wheels etc, could be what your after if you have slabs to work on.

Steve
When I was thinking of buying a 16 inch I saw one in the auto shop and was going to buy it next shop but by then it was gone and a little after that I decided a 16 inch was a bad idea and forgot about it...I will keep my eye out when I start going shopping again.
Thanks that is very good advice thank you.
Alex
Old 22-07-2021, 08:15 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex, I used to use a simple locking rope block and tackle, to lift a heavy spare wheel on
to the rear door mount of my Jeep. I fixed it to a beam in my garage roof, and it worked great. Cost was very low compared to engine cranes, about $30 I believe. I considered using it in the observatory but the roof structure was not the right configuration to fix the pulleys in the right place over the pier.