Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-02-2022, 08:06 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

James Webb images ..notice anything?

Have a look at this video and see it you notice anything strange in these images

https://youtu.be/pTvbKRjOEHM

Alex
Old 19-02-2022, 08:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Hans.
Is there anything about the images that tells you they are not from Webb?
Alex
Old 19-02-2022, 09:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

There is something that gives it away.
I suspect other may have pulled up the producer of the video as the comments are turned off.
I won't point it out to give others a chance to play.
How are you going? Well I hope.

Alex
Old 19-02-2022, 09:54 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

In my opinion it's just a person playing on peoples ignorance
by posting purported images from JWST.
That he has 169 821 views, and the comments turned off says it all
Just a troll catching the unwary.
Cheers
Old 19-02-2022, 10:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I agree Ron.

In effect a liar..I really dislike liars ..when I am ruling the planet liars will be put to death and for a second offence worse still.

What I notice are the diffraction spikes...Webb has three supports which probably won't produce four nice spikes.

Alex
Old 19-02-2022, 10:33 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I agree Ron.

In effect a liar..I really dislike liars ..when I am ruling the planet liars will be put to death and for a second offence worse still.

What I notice are the diffraction spikes...Webb has three supports which probably won't produce four nice spikes.

Alex
Alex knowing what I know about JWST I didn't
even bother to watch the nearly 6 minute video.
Also an electric storm closed down my internet for
about about 15 minutes as I was watching it.
so didn't bother to restart watching it again.
Cheers
Old 20-02-2022, 01:14 AM
raymo

How about the fact that the JWT is an infrared scope, so its images will have to be manipulated in order for our eyes to see anything, and I doubt that the manipulated images will look much like the images in the video. Also, JWT
will go very much deeper than Hubble et al, so I expect its images to be
more spectacular than the video ones.
raymo
Old 20-02-2022, 02:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Good points Raymo.
I saw the title of the video and I thought wow they seem to have got busy ...mmm as only days ago they had a mountain of work before them...and then I wondered why these stars? They are so close??? Adjustment shots??? Then hang on there are four spikes..that sealed it.

But I thought we could have some fun.

I am shocked that someone would tell lies on the net.

Alex
Old 20-02-2022, 03:28 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Of course, the fact that JWST has not even finished optical collimation and alignment suggests that these images are bogus. But it begs the question - why would anyone bother to even put this crap out there? It beggars my understanding.
Old 20-02-2022, 05:56 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

I like the fact the mission time is 5.5years (hopefully 10 years), the .5 years for calibration and collimation and 5 years for science.

The current star being used to calibrate and collimate etc will be too bright for use once the scope is setup and full operational.

The main mirror is 6.5mtrs, the focal length is 131.4mtrs (F20) but its irrelevant as the images will be translated from infrared to visual.

NASA FAQ:
"Webb images will be infrared, this can be translated by computer into a visible picture (just like we have done with Spitzer, which has produced beautiful pictures as well). Additionally Webb can see orange and red visible light."
Old 20-02-2022, 08:40 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Have a look at this video and see it you notice anything strange in these images

https://youtu.be/pTvbKRjOEHM

Alex
Yes: it's strange that.....

1. The JWST can reportedly only see from 600 nm (~orange) into the infrared, yet the images show green, blue and violet colours (say 550 to 350 nm)in the diffraction spikes (a visible spectrum !!!) as well as some bluish stars in a few images. Neither of those should be possible.

2. The four point diffraction spikes shown in the images are inconsistent with the spider support structure of the JWST which uses 3 arms at say 0, ~160 and ~200 degrees around its circumference. This would typically result in 3 pairs = 6 diffraction spikes at 0 & 180, 160 & 340 and 200 & 20 degrees, however that may be affected somewhat by the telescope's inability to see below 600nm (~orange), but not to the extent it would create 4 spikes.

3. The timeframe from Launch, arrival on station, first multi mirror (ghost multiple image seen recently) to a perfectly aligned astro-image seems far too short, for such a scientific endeavour.

4. The comments on the Youtube video are turned OFF.

Nice work Hubble or other.

Best
JA
Old 20-02-2022, 09:58 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It is this sort of thing that is causing many problems..some scoundrel publishes mis information ( loes) and folk accept it as fact...just think of the folk who will look at that video and believe the Webb is doing a great job..mmm maybe be a good thing given the anti science brigade.. but other things can have a disastrous outcome.
My eldest daughter is a gulible fool and saw some scoundrel claiming to have the cure for cancer which he sells at $29-95 a bottle.she said it would cure me..now just imagine if I shared her gullibility and followed her recommendation..as many people would..I would be dead for sure...look at the un necessary deaths from misinformation.
AND I appeal to everyone that when you see a lie call it out..
I took on the anti vax brigade at Tabulam and ran them to a stand still exposing each and every misconception and lie..at some personal risk ...the sensible folk had been bullied into silence... What I realised is sensible folk ignore the fools..I say we cant they must be educated.
Alex
Old 20-02-2022, 10:20 AM
Startrek (Martin)

In one of images the newt had pinched optics, you can tell by the star shape
Old 20-02-2022, 01:19 PM
Kuz

I knew they were fake straight away . But they are quite nice images all the same .
Old 20-02-2022, 03:42 PM
Robh (Rob)

From webbtelescope.org ...

"After reaching its orbit, Webb undergoes science and calibration testing. Then, regular science operations and images will begin to arrive, approximately six months after launch."

Rob
Old 20-02-2022, 03:45 PM
Zuts

I don't understand this discussion. NASA has already explained that they are still in a 6 month process of mirror alignment and most of the cameras on board are not yet at their operating temperatures.

The latest image released which is of a single star actually shows 18 separate images, one from each of the unaligned mirrors and the web team themselves have communicated that they will not be releasing any meaningful images until everything is ready, approximately 5 months from now.

I am embarrassed that I actually clicked on the OP's link as unfortunately this added one to his number of views...
Old 20-02-2022, 05:52 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

My intention was not to waste members time but to have some fun while spreading the word that the producer of the video is suspect. I expect there will be folk even here who could be taken in ..now they wont be and now realise just like I now find ..that what you see on the web may not always be genuine..I still can not get used to that.

Alex
Old 20-02-2022, 06:21 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
I don't understand this discussion. NASA has already explained that they are still in a 6 month process of mirror alignment and most of the cameras on board are not yet at their operating temperatures.

The latest image released which is of a single star actually shows 18 separate images, one from each of the unaligned mirrors and the web team themselves have communicated that they will not be releasing any meaningful images until everything is ready, approximately 5 months from now.

I am embarrassed that I actually clicked on the OP's link as unfortunately this added one to his number of views...
We all did. I initially just breezed through after viewing the first image and realising that it wasn't from WST but from HST. Then I gave it the benefit and let it run to the end and watched it more closely .. in image 7 it states in the narrative that the images were taken by WST Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) and Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS) ... these Instruments are on the HST and not WST. If anything the clip gave us a reminder on what the HST has revealed to us over its time in service.