Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Brundah1 (David)
Oh! No! More Clouds!

Newbie - soon to look through a N8iSE

Hello all,

Just joined your group as an astronomical novice.

Recently bought a Celestron Nexstar 8iSE, following much reading on the net that suggests these are well loved and well used, but not necessarily the leading edge of technology, but then I was not planning on to rob a bank!

I've also invested in a Stellarvue F50M finderscope (from SDM as recommended on this site), Peter was most helpful and the F50 is also fantasic for birdwatching (yes the feathered ones). Plus York Optical 2" EP kit, 2" Quartz diag and 2" Crayford. (Hint my eyes were manufactured in 1946 and my grandkids share my interest the stars etc.)

Oh! the scope has the Mk4 handset and a Notebook with real-time Star map control software. The scope came without a tripod, but I have a fairly stiff surveyors tripod which I plan to adapt for initial use.

My plan is to build a portable pier and EQ wedge in my workshop (hopefully 40 years in aircraft engineering and boat building will help).

A few questions:

Anyone in the Brisbane area with a N8iSE or N8SE?

Anyone here with experience using Ray's Brackets or a custom made equivalent?

I believe there is an alternative called Eddie's Brackets that would make the N8iSE more flexible than a standard N8SE? (Cloudy Nights forum)

Anyone tried to build their own pier for a Nexstar?

Any helpful advice welcomed.

My interest initially is to setup the 2" eyepiece focuser config and down the track if I get the hang of all this setup a small digital camera.

I live on acerage NW of Brisbane and we have in my view a fairly dark backyard shielded from the city flare, unfortunately there are some trees but i do have a clear view of the SCP and the sector around to the NNW.

My compliments to the website owners, this appears to be a freindly and helpful community.

My N8 won't be here for another week or so. So I have been swotting up on everything google and our local library can provide. Most nights for the past month have been perfect (although someones been leaving that bright light on upstairs of late).

Tonight I was out the back with the Stellarvue on my camera tripod and a planisphere in hand trying to identify the various constellations. Apart for soem of the bright stars that are familiar from coastal navigation, its all not as easy as the books say it is.

Wishing you all more still clear nights,

David
Old 07-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Benno85 (Ben)

aboard David!!

You'll find nothing other than helpful and friendly people here, as a beginner myself I owe very much to the members of this forum.

Clear skies!!

Benno
Old 07-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Brundah1 (David)
Oh! No! More Clouds!

Thanks for the welcome Ben,

Yes keen to make contact with some locals and get some helpful hints regarding my questions.

BTW love your byline about your treasures.

David
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Hi David, and welcome!

In a world that is dominated by Dobsonians, the NexStar series, particularly the 6SE and 8SE are very popular, easy to use and highly regarded.

Their single-most advantage that everyone will tell you about (and you no doubt already know) is that the tube detaches from the single fork, making it easy to attach to another mount/drive at a later date.

Although you have probably read the links, here are some links I was involved in on CN, where the NexStar series is very popular in the US and the UK.

An excellent resource page - http://www.nexstarsite.com/

You will also find Ray's Brackets here - http://www.buyastrostuff.com/store/index.htm

I haven't heard of Eddie's Brackets, but Rays are quite popular amongst NexStar Users. I don't think they are sold in Australia, you might have to import them.

There are a few sites I visited who have NexStars on Wedges and piers. I'll try to dig the links up for you.

If I ever get the chance, I'd buy a 6 or 8Se as a little travel scope, they look ideal.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Robert9 (Robert)

Hi David,
Welcome to the group.

I love my 6SE. Gives good images, very portable - I take it with me when we go off in the caravan, (Hi Stephen) and easy to set up. The GOTO works very well.

I've replaced the red-spot finder with an erect image, angle finder to try and save my ancient back. The red-spot is OK on anything lower than say 45 degrees, but when trying to centre on alignment starts which are high, the angle finder is a saviour.

Enjoy your new scope when it arrives; I just hope that the clouds don't roll in on that day - although one would normally predict the new-scope curse.
Cheers,
Robert
Old 08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Brundah1 (David)
Oh! No! More Clouds!

Newbie - soon to look through a N8iSE

Robert & Stephen,

Thanks for the welcome and feedback.

I found Mike Swanson's Nexstarsite.com, very very helpful. Already his docs have clarified the correct model designation for my yet to arrive scope (a freind is kindly transporting it up to me). What a fabulous resource for all Nexstars, considering the variety of versions.

I think I have a N8i XLT (Starbright mirrors and silver OTA), that has been ungraded to the SE Hand Control (handset to me) and the latest N8SE software for both handset and motor control board.

I guess the previous owner was close, as the only difference is this one has the N8i fork arm and does not have the N8SE metalic orange OTA and dovetail mount.

Some wise owls on this site may have picked up on the above, since I was asking about Ray's Brackets which only fit on a N8i fork arm.

Ray's Brackets may be the WTG if 5 1/2 inch adjustment range is sufficient for balancing and clearance with crayford, 2" diag & EPs. I'm also thinking ahead to the future option of camera mount.

The other OTA mount adaptor option is one by Ron King that uses a dovetail and adaptor, which aparentally gives you more adjustment than the standard N8SE. However I can't find any details or pics - it is breifly mentioned on Cloudy Nights.

Anybody here heard of Ron King and "Ron's Rail"???

Stephen, would apprecaite anything you have on hand about custom portable piers.

I've found the websites for most of the expensive commercial variety. Also saw a few custom made ones with bolt on horizontal legs (not tripod legs) that's close to what I have sketched up, but I have other ideas. When I learn how to insert attachements here.

I guess most of you guys have had some busy nights of late with these clear skies, shame someone keeps leaving that bright light on upstairs!

Clear skies and pleasant company,

David
Brisbane