Old 27-01-2008, 12:31 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

Astro photography on a sub $1000 budget

This has probably been covered before but just incase it hasn't and for the benifit of myself and other newbies.

If you were just starting out into astro photography and as of yet were not sure where you wanted to specialize...DSO or planetary and had a limited budget of up to $1000 what would the experianced people here reccommend and why?

$100 - $250
$250 - $500
$550 - $700
$750 - $1000
Old 27-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Steve - presuming that you're talking about a full kit - scope and all?

I reckon a 8 to 10" Newtonian on a Dobsonian mount. You won't fit a motor driven EQ mount, scope and camera into $1,000 if it's new. Call the scope done at around $550 to $660.

You can then but a Philips 840-IIPro or SPC-900 ToUcam off eBay for around $100 to $150 landed. That still leaves you with around $200 for a couple of decent GSO EP's as well. With a a ToUcam and Dobsonian mount, you can have Registax align the resultant image frames for you, within limits. At least you won't have to bother with a polar alignment regimen. Plenty of people use their Dobs for this purpose - just ask Mike Salway for one.

This is all presuming that you already own a laptop, mind you. If not - you can grab one off eBay for a couple of hundred that might do the job - as long as it has a fast-ish USB port and a bit of memory (512Mb at least).

Last edited by Omaroo; 27-01-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 27-01-2008, 12:48 PM
madtuna (Steve)
an overactive imagination

oops, no my mistake, concidering they have scope and lappy and are just sourcing which camera and why. Though including complete package is fine too.

Thanks Chris
Old 03-02-2008, 12:18 AM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

personally, if you just starting it out, with a 1k budget, i'll get a Meade DSI + TV powermate. Why? you can do deep sky stuff as well as planets and will cost you under $400. which ever way you want to lean afterwards and the spare $600, i then will get a toucam for planets or a DSLR for deepsky stuff and you;re left with the DSI for autoguiding too