Old 10-12-2007, 07:39 PM
OneOfOne (Trevor)
Meteor & fossil collector

Any problems running a DSI II with Vista?

Santa is apparently buying me a DSI II to get started with imaging (he must have got my email) and I will need a better laptop than my current 120MHz with 128Mb!

Many of the laptops come with some form of Vista installed and only a small percentage have XP. Am I likely to experience problems connecting the DSI to Vista? Or should I just go XP from the start? Will the commonly used image processing software run on Vista? Should I just go XP anyway in order to get raw speed rather than a pretty interface that chews up CPU time!

If I get more serious about imaging, the DSI can be used for autoguiding and I may pick up an EOS.

Thanks guys!

I am sure with all the Christmas astro gear Santa is bringing we can look forward to months of cloudy skies Like the start of this year
Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi One of One, I run my DSI II Pro along with Autostar suite, MaximDL, Registax4 and Star Atlas Pro on my Laptop using Vista and had no problems with it.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire with a dual core 1.73Ghz processor, 1Gb Ram and 120Gb Hard drive. I find it perfect for running my scope and camera.

I did have some problems at first but that was due to the power hungry nature of the camera. I now run everything through a USB2 externally powered hub and have never encountered a problem since then.

While there is no problem with the DSI's the LPI by Meade will not run on Vista as it will not recognise the drivers. Meade are supposed to be rectifying this but dont hold your breath, it's been at least 6 months now and nothing has happened yet.

Cheers
Old 21-12-2007, 06:15 PM
wolfman

I have a DSI and purchased a new HP Pavilion Notebook with Vista and cannot get the software to load at all.
I have exhausted all the roads I know to install it, but nothing works.
I have left many E-mails with Meade but have recived no reply at all.
As well as I cannot get Starry Night Pro to load as well, I have contacted them and at least got a reply, but it seems Starry night is not really compatable with Vista like they say it is and they wont fix the problem either.
So im selling my new $2000 Notebook and buying one with XP.
They can shove Vista up their AR**.
Good luck.
Old 21-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Gama

You will find it cheaper, and better if you just get XP and install it yourself. You should be able to get the drivers for your laptop from the Manufacturers web site.

You may find that its faster than Vista for most things.

Vista32 has better compatability than Vista64.

Theo.
Old 22-12-2007, 01:37 PM
wolfman

Gama,
If it was that easy I would have done it, according to all I have spoken to HP and other manafuctures have done a deal with Microsoft to use Vista only, meaning they will install new components and only drivers for Vista will be avaible for these components, efectivly locking them to Vista.
Without the main board, video, sound, ect,ect drivers its not much of a computer. hahaha.
So anybody want a 1 hour old Notebook with all the good gear I have one for sale,
Old 23-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Gama

One thing you havent done, and that is to look at similar models from HP that use the same video and sound cards etc etc.
I did this for some notebooks i had some years back. Worked perfectly fine.
This may be a good option.
Your notebook wont be the only one with that hardware in it. HP would use it many other models.
Try it.

Theo.
Old 23-12-2007, 09:47 PM
wolfman

Yeah maybee an option, I will look it up and see what is on offer,
Merry Xmas Theo.