ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-07-2021, 12:28 PM
gary

Cool Molecule found in Fraser Island funnel-web could help save lives after heart attack

You have to love Australian fauna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy Hamilton-Smith, ABC, 16 July 2021
University of Queensland (UQ) researchers have learnt that the poison from the deadly funnel-web spider contains a molecule that can buy time when heart cells are dying.

With nearly 60,000 Australians suffering heart attacks every year, the research is seen as a potentially vital way to pivot the way patients are treated.

The discovery was made by a team led by Dr Nathan Palpant and biochemist Professor Glenn King from UQ and cardiologist Peter Macdonald from the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute in Sydney.

Professor King said it was a particular kind of funnel-web found on Fraser Island (K'gari) that had them excited.

Being on an island, it is genetically isolated.

The venom of this particular funnel-web contains up to 3,000 different molecules.

Professor King's team discovered one of them, known as Hi1a, could block the cell death message after a heart attack, protecting the heart after major injury and potentially preventing or minimising muscle damage.
Full story here :-
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...er-i/100293714
Old 16-07-2021, 12:50 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Ironic of all places to find a life saving molecule in one of the deadliest spiders.
Old 17-07-2021, 01:11 PM
drylander (Peter)

Sounds like a great find. I notice it will be 2-3 years before human trials begin.
Covid 19 less than 9 months and they wonder why there is hesitation for the injection. Not to mention the mixed messages from the government. I'm sure the antivaxers will push this hard.
I'll be lining up for my shot when I get a choice of vaccine not the age group system now in play.
Pete
Old 17-07-2021, 01:41 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Very surprising and hopeful research. Cell death is a major area of research around the world and if the venom delays that in trials that would be an incredible step forward.

Next time I am on a Fraser Island though I will extra careful.