Old 07-06-2021, 09:16 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Samyang 14mm purchase help

Hi all.

Just seeking some advise regarding the purchase of Samyang 14mm 2.8 for my canon 70d.
There’s a few variations of this lens and I’m a little confused which is the best for wide field AP. I understand there are also newer models of this lens (f1.8) which is a bit above my budget. Ideally I’d like to keep my purchase below $500 if possible but willing to stretch a little further if recommended.
Another issue is where to buy? Been waiting and searching online (including here) as I’m more than happy to buy 2nd hand, but not having much luck.
I stumbled across this on Amazon last wk: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B006MI1...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Seems like a good buy but never purchased anything of this nature before on Amazon. Go for it?
Any thought on the correct/best variation of this lens and suggestions on a great place to buy would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 07-06-2021, 10:09 PM
langman78 (Ben)

It appears the UMC version is the way to go. Managed to find a post from a few yrs back when I was looking to pull the trigger on some glass which obviously never occurred.
Good place to buy online?
Old 08-06-2021, 07:29 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Hi Ben, I purchased my Samyang f2.8 UMC off eBay four years ago and had no problems with the purchase. The seller was a Chinese vendor based in Hong Kong. Obviously this is only a sample of one so cannot say that others may, or may not, have issues but at least my experience was a good one.

As far as the lens goes, I have been very happy with the purchase, it performs well and has met my expectations for wide field imaging. I use it on my Canon 60Da DSLR.

Here is a link to an image taken with this lens.

Hope this helps.

CS,
Rodney
Old 08-06-2021, 11:15 AM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.c...if-ed-umc-lens

My advice is to buy local if you can. There have been some QC issues with the lenses and you will only notice them when you get under a dark sky - Nightscape photography is as hard a challenge for a lens as it will ever get! A local purchase should let you swap it out for a different one without fuss.

I have recently upgraded to the Samyang 14mm 1.8 XP and it is an absolute class above. I've added a happy snap from the weekend compared to similar shot taken some time back, I think you can guess which is which
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (XP vs USM.jpg)
199.7 KB33 views
Old 08-06-2021, 08:51 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Thanks for the reply/advise. Fantastic pics gents!
Yeah I’d prob prefer to buy locally or even avoid online all together but that’s obviously going to be at a extra cost. I did notice today that camera house has UMC II’s on special for around $509-
Have a store pretty local so might be worth while. I think they actually price match, but don’t know if it’s with bricks and motor stores only? Can’t hurt asking when and if Melbourne town ever gets out of lock down anytime soon.