Old 19-07-2020, 09:15 PM
Deepfieldastro (Adam)

Online printing service recommendations?

My images may not be wall-worthy in my eyes, but an old APOD is!

Chasing an online service or something local in Brisbane to print a digital image (15283x12564px) on a decent quality paper to be framed as wall art. Does anyone have any suggested businesses/sites?

The image is dark so would prefer a matt finish to reduce reflection/shine but also with minimal detail loss. I am hoping a giclee print would suffice?

image below for reference

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ame_Nebula.jpg

Last edited by Deepfieldastro; 19-07-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 20-07-2020, 01:50 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Personally I think a matt finish would kill that wonderful image of yours!
I'd go completely the opposite way, a high gloss Fujiflex print - It's what I use for all my award entries and exhibitions.
CPL digital in Melbourne - you can upload your file & they'll post you the print.
Old 20-07-2020, 02:40 PM
leon

I agree with Andy, I have printed thousands of prints on good quality printers, always buy the correct ink and the paper to match from Image Science in Melbourne.

I have used many different papers and as Andy said a Matt would kill your image, especially the black parts of your print.

One of the best papers around and used by many professionals alike is Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl, an absolutely beautiful 310GSM (grams per square meter) paper.

You would not be disappointed in the quality finish, if that is not quite what you want, as Andy said again go for Gloss, IMHO.

You could even send your file to Image Science and they too would print it for you, check out the web site and see what they offer.

https://imagescience.com.au

Leon
Old 20-07-2020, 03:59 PM
glend (Glen)

I have used Print2Metal in Melbourne several times with great results. More expensive than paper, but they really pop on the wall. Everything is done online and they can handle large RAW files if you want.

https://print2metal.com/

The prints are exceptionally well packed and padded when shipped.

BTW, many astro photos benefit from having a Gallery Light nearby.
Old 22-07-2020, 01:50 AM
Sayfog (Alistair)

Printing2metal is a new one for me, I've just ordered a print from there and will report back once it arrives.
Old 31-05-2021, 07:00 PM
DJT (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Personally I think a matt finish would kill that wonderful image of yours!
I'd go completely the opposite way, a high gloss Fujiflex print - It's what I use for all my award entries and exhibitions.
CPL digital in Melbourne - you can upload your file & they'll post you the print.
Hi Andy
I just got my first print back from CPL and it’s awesome. It’s an A1 on wood of The dragons in Ara for a friends tourism lodge.

Need to see if I can find someone closer to Sydney through as packnsend was eye watering.

Great recommendation though. Thanks
Old 31-05-2021, 07:26 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Great news!
I got an image printed at Print2Metal last month and it looks fantastic too

FYI - These guys have been around in Sydney servicing pro photographers for donkeys years - https://www.visiongraphics.com.au/archival-printing
Old 01-06-2021, 10:14 AM
markas (Mark)

What leon said. I have been getting my supplies and custom printer profiles from Image Science for years. All my exhibition prints are currently on Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss paper. Image Science print service is also excellent.

The surest way to kill an astro image is to print it on matte paper. It just can't deliver deep blacks. The reflections are a problem, but you can tame them by careful lighting.

Mark