Old 03-05-2018, 11:45 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Jaycar Hornsby.

I purchased a solar panel from them, a nice bendy one, but it did not work.
I had cut the connecting plugs to solder on my own wires so what I returned could have been rejected because I had tampered with it.

However they were happy to replace it...but I thought I would rather another brand so they let me buy another unit crediting the original purchase price not withstanding they did have another of the original unit.

So I purchased one of those fold up camper style units and upped the power output to 120 watts. Plus it has 10 meters of cable which the original one lacked and I am happy to get rid of the strange cable I put together from two 240 vlt extension cords..it looked crap so very happy not having to use it.

So they really could have said we cant help you because you cut the plugs off but instead did what I call "the right thing".

And although my experience is hardley worth reporting I think when folk are decent they deserve a mention.

Thank you Jaycar Hornsby.

Alex
Old 03-05-2018, 12:44 PM
redbeard (Damien)

I have had similar experience with Jaycar in SA

Never even had to show the receipt.

Cheers,
Damien
Old 03-05-2018, 02:43 PM
leon

You did well then Alex, it is a wonder they actually took it back at all after you cut the wires.
Did they actually see that ?

Leon
Old 03-05-2018, 03:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
You did well then Alex, it is a wonder they actually took it back at all after you cut the wires.
Did they actually see that ?

Leon
I told them that I cut the wire to solder it into the regulator that I purchased from them.
I did indicate that I was into astro photography and went away for that and the panel let me down, then I lied and said that I had to drive 100 klms and buy a genny for $650 ...that is so unlike me.. but I was trying to communicate that I was prepared to take it to anther level...still I lie and heck do I now feel bad...I think I will go up and tell them I lied and get that fixed.. doinf the wrong thing causes more damage than its worth. .. I was trying to build a little tention. . So I lied more and added ...Yes lucky I was a long way away and have had time to cool down...and yet that was not a lie in reflection...I do think that I was rather angry that it did not work particulary taking so much time to set it all up...then have to pull it apart to trace the fault..I started at the wrong end you see..thinking my wiring was the problem ...the panel was the last on the list..it should have been first but the the Suns out so you expect something..volt wise.. so wiring pull it apart.

And it would not have taken much to push me over the edge...thank goodness somehow people can see it...that character even frightens me...anyways that saw it my way is the bottom line...I want it replaced I didnt have to say it after my first words..although U did say I would be happy to repair...He proded the electronics under the and determined it was a blown diode and looked up as if to say we can fix it now and I looked back with I want it replaced radiating out into the room.

They had another as I said but the replacement its great
..carry bag real handy..the other thing I had to wrap in a sheet...all the leads, bull dog clips or terminal connectors , 5 meter lead, niffy stand it up arrangement. Excellent lookinh regulator unit.
So although it went wrong finally I am way ahead.

Alex
Old 03-05-2018, 06:14 PM
leon

All good Alex you didn't need to explain, I was just curious mate.

Leon

Last edited by leon; 03-05-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:13 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
All good Alex you didn't need to explain, I was just curious mate.

Leon
I think he's winding you up mate
Old 05-05-2018, 01:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
I think he's winding you up mate
Never would I do such a thing I am just the sort of person who having nothing to say simply takes a long time to say it☺
Alex
Old 05-05-2018, 01:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

So this panel is terrific but they did fail on one point.
The regulator is on the panel and has a take off for load.
So you run the supplied ten mtr cable to your batteries but to take advantage of the take off you need to run wires from the panel to where you will actually use the power so it seems that they need to include more cable in the kit...
Alex
Old 05-05-2018, 06:03 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

I've dealt with the Jaycar Penrith store for some years.

All good people and no troubles with exchanges where needed.

They seem to have long serving staff which indicates the crew are harmonious and the company values them.

Disclaimer: I have no financial arrangement with Jaycar, although I have bought their products.

Regards, Tony Barry
WSAAG