Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events

Old 22-06-2018, 12:09 PM
dylan_odonnell (Dylan)

2 Weeks until Star Stuff II ! - Fraser Cain, Geoff Notkin, Amy Shira Teitel and more

I know some of our International speakers are showing up at other events which is great to see Star Stuff II is picking up the tab for bringing them here so if you want the deluxe package definitely consider coming up to Byron Bay for an amazing weekend. Apart from Fraser, Geoff and Amy we also have David Malin, Terry Lovejoy Mike Sidonio (Strongman Mike!), John Sarkissian, Greg Quicke (Space Gandalf), Dr Alan Duffy, James Gilmour (Gilmour Space Technology), Cathal O'Connell and myself. The sessions are now online too at https://www.starstuff.com.au/sessions

Also Bintel just dropped the news they are providing more giveaways so ticket holders could win a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer Bundle + Tripod, a ZWO ASI 290MM camera or if you have a VIP ticket you're also in the running for a Celestron 6" Evolution. It's a small event (400 tickets max, and less than half that for VIPs) so the odds are better than most chook raffles

https://www.starstuff.com.au/

Hope you're all rockin!

Dylan.

Last edited by dylan_odonnell; 26-06-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 26-06-2018, 09:32 AM
geoffnotkin (Geoff)
geoffnotkin

Thanks to Dylan / Star Stuff

Dear Forum Members:

I'd like to extend my most enthusiastic thanks to Dylan O'Donnell for inviting Amy Shira Teitel, Fraser Cain, and myself from the USA to attend Star Stuff on July 7 and 8 at Byron Bay. I had the great pleasure of working and traveling extensively in Australia during 2010, when we filmed two episodes of Meteorite Men in your homeland. Of all the places I've visited (and that is many), no place has moved me like Australia. I'm absolutely thrilled to be returning, and to be presenting at Star Stuff. It's a major treat to be invited to attend international events and I really welcome the chance to get to know colleagues in Australia.

I look forward to meeting many of you and I'm friendly! So ... if you're interested in meteorites and/or the National Space Society (I'm on the Board of Governors and our Chairman is Australian, Kirby Ikin), please find me for a hello! I'll bring a few meteorites (maybe moon rocks, if you're good) for show and tell.

Cheers all, and see you soon

Geoff Notkin (USA)
Board of Governors, National Space Society
Board of Directors, Astrosociology Research Institute
Advisory Board, Deep Space Industries
Host, Meteorite Men and STEM Journals
CEO, Aerolite Meteorites, Inc.
President, Desert Owl Productions, Inc.
Old 26-06-2018, 10:33 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Hi Geoff and welcome. I am really looking forward to next weekend (Having attended last year and enjoyed it from end to end)

My wife and 9 year old son will be with me, hopefully they get something out of the weekend too, if not, they can go walk on the beach! I know where I will be..
Old 26-06-2018, 12:22 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Welcome Geoff, I'm really looking forward to hearing you all - hope you enjoy your stay.
Old 26-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Martin Pugh

Star Stuff Ticket For Sale

Hi there.

I am having to withdraw from my planned attendance at Star Stuff, and tickets are non-refundable unfortunately.

So I have a ticket for sale: It is the full ticket including the VIP luxury dinner on the Saturday night.

$200 instead of $259.

cheers
Martin
Old 26-06-2018, 06:43 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Delighted to hear that Strongman Mike is now on the speaking program.
Slightly disappointed that I’m on a family holiday in Thailand at the same time, d’oh!
Oh well, I’ll just have to enjoy a couple more margaritas to console myself
Enjoy all, and book now if you haven’t already- it’s a wonderful event!
Old 26-06-2018, 07:57 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Delighted to hear that Strongman Mike is now on the speaking program.
Slightly disappointed that I’m on a family holiday in Thailand at the same time, d’oh!
Oh well, I’ll just have to enjoy a couple more margaritas to console myself
Enjoy all, and book now if you haven’t already- it’s a wonderful event!
Cheers Andy...you could always cancel your family holiday .... naaah have a great time in Thailand..bloody hot and humid there at the moment

Mike
Old 27-06-2018, 05:28 PM
Martin Pugh

Star Stuff ticket now $150
Old 27-06-2018, 06:17 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

Thanks in advance for putting this on again Dylan. Last year's event was so fantastic. I must have raved a bit back home because this year my wife is attending as well. Love the venue too.
Old 28-06-2018, 06:49 PM
dylan_odonnell (Dylan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsShed View Post
Thanks in advance for putting this on again Dylan. Last year's event was so fantastic. I must have raved a bit back home because this year my wife is attending as well. Love the venue too.
Heh that's good to see! I have to say, just going from the order names I think the gender split is approaching 60/40 at least this year which is amazing and refreshing to see. There are only about 5 VIP/Dinner tickets left at this stage!
Old 03-07-2018, 03:16 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

My wife has left it to the last minute to tell me that she’d rather stick pins in her eyes than sit through two solid days of Star Stuff talks.

Consequently, I have a spare ticket to the event in Byron Bay this weekend, including the VIP dinner on Saturday night. I paid $249 for it, and would let it go for $180. PM me if interested. Also posting in the IIS classifieds. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:50 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

c'mon, $150 and it's yours......
Old 05-07-2018, 05:12 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

All packed and ready to get on a plane on the morning, looking forward to the weekend away.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:43 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Drove into the resort and who should drive by but Space Gandalf... starting to get excited.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:10 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Yeah. The young blokes eyes nearly popped when he walked by.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Camped around the corner at Discovery Parks. Named after the Space Shuttle I assume

See you in the morning
Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

Well it was another phenomenal event and just as interesting and varied as last year's. As I mentioned above, I took my wife with me this year and yep, she is raving about it too and is really keen to go again in the future. Thank you to everyone who put on this event, not only did we both have a wonderful time, it's just made my whole astronomy journey even easier when it comes to obtaining board of management approvals

Jim
Old 08-07-2018, 09:33 PM
dylan_odonnell (Dylan)

Thanks to all who came! What a phenomenal group of speakers and audience. It was so great to meet so many of you and Ice in Space's strongman Mike did not disappoint. Dr David Malin is also such a wonderful individual and his presentation on astrophotography ethics would have been especially interesting for the IIS crowd! He had many examples of what he did and didn't like and why (and didn't hold back!). I'm still overwhelmed by the response and overall vibe of the whole thing. Thanks for your support!

Dylan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (speakers-small-IIS.jpg)
172.5 KB39 views
Old 08-07-2018, 10:01 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Congrats Dylan, what a great weekend!
Old 09-07-2018, 06:47 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Congratulations and thank you Dylan. And thanks you to all the speakers.

We were not at all sure how my 9 year old would do sitting in a series of presentations, but he sat rapt through all bar one. That one was the Mercury 13 but he was absolutely desperate to have a swim (Bit of a novelty swimming in an outdoor pool in July for us Melbournites without bits freezing and falling off)

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend again and I just love how approachable all the speakers were, particularly when the kids in the audience wanted to ask them questions, talk to them or just get a selfie.