Old 28-04-2021, 07:19 AM
DamienB (Damien)

Auto-guiding camera

Hey

I have a stock standard Skywatcher ED80 scope and whilst I have it aligned as best as possible on the EQM35PRO, it really needs a guide camera.

I am after your suggestions so I can narrow field because the array of choices seems quite high (from Ebay/Aliexpress levels, to ZWO).

Do i need to replace the stock finder scope? Or can I use what I have and just add the camera?

Thanks!
Old 28-04-2021, 08:30 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Popular choices for guide cameras that work really well for scopes >1200mm focal length and under are the ZWOASI120MM-S USB3 mono ( I use this one ) and the ZWOASI290MM mono mini USB2
My recommendation is to stick to mono guide cameras like the ones above not colour. Colour work but mono are much better to pick up and focus on your your Star field
ZWO are extremely popular world wide , work well , reasonably priced , usually in stock through local suppliers like Bintel etc... and good technical support from ZWO
If your finder scope is a straight through 50mm shoe mounted then you should be able to unscrew the eye piece section and fit the appropriate adapter for either of the above 2 guide cameras
Failing that, you can keep your finder scope for future use on a bigger telescope if and when you upgrade ( which undoubtedly you will at some stage ) and buy a 50mm guide scope with or without helical focuser. The helical focuser is really handy to focus your guide scope. Orion make a great range of 50mm and 60mm guide scopes with and without helical focuser ( I use an Orion 60mm guide scope with helical focuser on my 6” and 8” newts)
Good luck with your set up
Martin
Old 28-04-2021, 12:25 PM
DamienB (Damien)

Thanks Martin,

I'm wary of costs as I've seen a few photo posts mention flatteners/reducers also. They seem to be around $300, and then there's filters....
Old 28-04-2021, 12:51 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienB View Post
Thanks Martin,

I'm wary of costs as I've seen a few photo posts mention flatteners/reducers also. They seem to be around $300, and then there's filters....
Damien
Flatteners and reducers are used in your main imaging scope if you use a refractor
Filters are used on your main imaging scope too
Guide scope just uses your guide camera only and maybe an adapter for the guide camera to fit ( no flatteners or filters for guide scope and camera )
Ok
Martin