Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-09-2022, 11:13 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Australian Photographic Prize Winner

Been a while since posting, but thought to share that I was delighted to win the Nature Category of the inaugral 2022 Australian Photographic Prize with this image of NGC 6188 Dragons of Ara.

I'd encourage others to enter the competition next year, as it has both digital & print sections, prizes for both amateurs and professionals, and live judging feedback available online.
It was pretty cool seeing all the winning images projected full size on a VMAX cinema screen at Village cinema on the Gala presentation night!

I was also invited to participate in the accompanying photography conference, delivering an Astrophotography presentation with Nasa trained Ps. Kevin Manning at City Edge.
"The Space Effect" was well received by a packed audience. So good to be able to attend these kind of events again post Covid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Fighting-Dragons-IIS.jpg)
157.5 KB83 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4937.jpg)
170.9 KB69 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4927.jpg)
203.9 KB60 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4934.jpg)
198.1 KB72 views
Click for full-size image (306603365_10161036873073514_8069614183002298009_n.jpg)
196.2 KB83 views
Click for full-size image (DSC_3588x.jpg)
203.4 KB72 views
Old 13-09-2022, 11:27 AM
Stephane

Congratulations Andy. That is a stunning image well worth an award.

P.S. I love the jumper!
Old 13-09-2022, 11:58 AM
Dave882 (David)

Congratulations!! Well deserved!!
Old 13-09-2022, 07:44 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Wow - a worthy image indeed.

Well done Andy, love the cosmic themed attire too.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 14-09-2022, 03:12 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

My congratulations indeed young man! A fine win, and it's certainly a "starring" image. (Sorry...)
Old 14-09-2022, 09:15 PM
anthony.tony

Congrats Well Done..
Old 15-09-2022, 08:31 AM
Andy01 (Andy)

Thanks everyone - appreciate the nice feedback.
@ Warren - love the Spectrum symbol as your Avatar -SIG!
Old 15-09-2022, 12:56 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Well done Andy, its a fine image for sure, this region has been successful for you, huh?

Just curious, a multi filter, multi sub frame astroimage, wouldn't normally be the traditional sort of fair entered in a nature/wildlife category, so how does the judging work when viewing a narrowband nebula image, that required complicated, multi day acquisition and significant pre and post processing, with other more traditional nature shots, of birds, bears whales and mountains etc ie "Earth" based., most of which I imagine would be one click on site shots, plus maybe a little enhancement in PS or similar..? Do many astroimages get entered into this category? Just interested in your thoughts given your experience as a photographic judge and your master standing within the pro photographers circles (AIPP?)

Did you play the drums there during the presentation?

Cheers

Mike
Old 15-09-2022, 01:40 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Well done Andy, its a fine image for sure, this region has been successful for you, huh?

Just curious, a multi filter, multi sub frame astroimage, wouldn't normally be the traditional sort of fair entered in a nature/wildlife category, so how does the judging work when viewing a narrowband nebula image, that required complicated, multi day acquisition and significant pre and post processing, with other more traditional nature shots, of birds, bears whales and mountains etc ie "Earth" based., most of which I imagine would be one click on site shots, plus maybe a little enhancement in PS or similar..? Do many astroimages get entered into this category? Just interested in your thoughts given your experience as a photographic judge and your master standing within the pro photographers circles (AIPP?)

Did you play the drums there during the presentation?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

The AIPP no longer exists post Covid, and was disbanded last year.

The Australian Photographic Prize is a privately run competition by former members who wanted to recreate an inclusive spirit of community & connection previously enjoyed by members and visitors to AIPP awards and conferences.

As such the APP is open to amateurs and professionals alike (even school kids!) with various awards for Print, Digital and Video in several categories, with many valuable prizes sponsored by Epson, Nikon, Kayell and many others.

The Epson Print Awards is open to everyone, and the Nikon Digital awards are only open to amateurs.

An amateur photographer is defined as an actual person, receiving less than $10,000AUD per year in photographically-related income.

As to mixing Astro images with nature - from the APP rules - Images should show the beauty of nature or wildlife captured in their natural habitat.

Category rules allow for focus stacking, HDR, time exposures & stitches etc. Post-production techniques, may be used to enhance the image as long as the authenticity of the original scene is retained.

Techniques that remove in-camera elements, such as dust spots, digital noise, and film scratches are allowed. With the exception of cropping, the addition, removal, relocation, or replacement of pictorial elements is not permitted.

A description to provide judges with additional technical or biologically significant information is permitted (limited to 25 words).

As an entrant, I wasn't judging that category, but I did get a chance to watch my print get judged on the replay of the online livestream. There were many positive comments between the five pro photographer judges on the panel, and I'm sure that having a description available assists their assessment when viewing such diverse imagery including Birds, Whales, Waves and of course Astro.

As a working professional, I could enter the Epson Print Awards, but I'm ineligible to enter the Nikon Digital Awards. I'm lobbying the organizers to promote the Nikon Digital Awards competition even further next year amongst astro societies etc. so more astrophotographers are encouraged to enter either the Nature & Wildlife or Landscape categories.

It's pretty cool to be able to see and hear your images judged, by either being there in person or watching live online, in an open and fully transparent manner with instant feedback available.

FYI - No drums were harmed or eardums ruptured during my presentation.

Last edited by Andy01; 15-09-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old 15-09-2022, 01:50 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Andy,
Congratulations !!
A stunning astrophotography image
1st prize for the shirt too, a real head turner

Cheers
Martin
Old 15-09-2022, 05:06 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post

As to mixing Astro images with nature - from the APP rules - Images should show the beauty of nature or wildlife captured in their natural habitat.
Yeah saw that, probably needs to be reworded, still sounds very geared to traditional wildlife and a natural home or environment of an animal, plant, or other organism...rather than nebulae,stars and galaxies

Apart from the subject matter, the difference in technique is pretty enormous too, do you think there are enough people in the traditional photographic community, who do astro, to warrant it's own category..?

Anyway, just musings, no question that, as an astroimage at least, your winning piece is a striking vista

Mike
Old 15-09-2022, 05:23 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Yeah saw that, probably needs to be reworded, still sounds very geared to traditional wildlife and a natural home or environment of an animal, plant, or other organism...rather than nebulae,stars and galaxies

Apart from the subject matter, the difference in technique is pretty enormous too, do you think there are enough people in the traditional photographic community, who do astro, to warrant it's own category..?

Anyway, just musings, no question that, as an astroimage at least, your winning piece is a striking vista

Mike
Kudos for the win but Mike has a valid point. (Did I just say that? )

The Landscape/Nature rules said: "Colour images must appear natural; images may also be entered as black and white conversions"

I'd read that as RGB or LRGB....i.e. a facsimile of what a human eye would see if it was uber-sensitive.

Yet a false colour NB palette, nebula image got up.

But hey, a win is a win, but I'd suggest the rules do need clarification
Old 15-09-2022, 06:29 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

@Peter - Being in it’s first year, I’m sure the organisers are already creating a list of further improvements to the competition for the future.
@ Mike -the Nikon Digital awards are open to everyone. Based on your feedback I’ll suggest some text refinements to the organisers for next year’s categories as no doubt there will be significant interest from the Astro community.
Old 21-09-2022, 07:10 AM
Kuz

Congratulations Andy . Well done mate
Old 21-09-2022, 10:47 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Congratulations Andy a worthy prize and winner!!