Old 25-09-2021, 07:01 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Missing Stars

What do you think? Where have the missing stars gone?

https://youtu.be/X3xddkS4H80

Alex
Old 25-09-2021, 10:09 PM
billdan (Bill)

Out of a survey of only 12,000 Milky Way Stars, and nearly 800 of them that disappeared, that's a loss of 6%.
That is over a 70 year period, so maybe the original star surveys in the 1950's were inaccurate (hot pixels??).
As Anton says there is just too many stars that have disappeared to be caused by a supernova or by quickly collapsing into black holes.

My explanation (guess) is interstellar dust, similar to what caused Betelgeuse brightness to dim recently.

Last edited by billdan; 25-09-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 26-09-2021, 08:05 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I found another missing star...our Sun..it is not there today.

To explain that situation is easy of course..cloud cover..it is still there but something interupts my view...

The stars missing referred to in Anton's video however gets me thinking...and of course all one can do is speculate which I find the most unsatisfactory pursuit one can engage...and dangerous as so many folk after speculating adopt their speculation as reality...history tells us this over and over.

Anyways I found the thing interesting...the fact the Navy took the photos could suggest they did a decent job..mmm were they film? or digital..have to be film I expect..maybe copying artifacts...but what if we witness a new thing where stars are just "burning out" like a spark from a fire...
Alex
Old 26-09-2021, 09:03 AM
leon

Alex we love you, but you are an idiot .

Leon
Old 26-09-2021, 09:15 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post

Alex we love you, but you are an idiot .

Leon
Its ok I found it.
Alex
Old 27-09-2021, 12:35 PM
drylander (Peter)

Sorry Alex. I have them in my shed for study. I'll let them go tonight.
Pete
Old 27-09-2021, 01:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I had a thought...maybe they are being eclipsed by dark matter?
If I may speculate Bills reasoning I find acceptable but given the numbers it suggests a heck of a lot of presumably interstellar dust...I do wonder if we will ever hear more or is that one of those things that once aired is never raised again.
Alex
Old 27-09-2021, 01:42 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Dusty clouds certainly seems like a good answer, maybe even a more regional one. Any object heavy enough to bend light passing by would also cause the star to "disappear" as well, rogue black holes are popular atm.

Steve
A nice article recently on a 10billion light year distant super nova that blew up 10 billion years ago. Turns out there was enough mass between the super nova and us to get the same image up to 30 years apart due to the light being warped by the galaxies in between.

https://hubblesite.org/contents/news...-2021-030.html

Last edited by mura_gadi; 27-09-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 27-09-2021, 02:28 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Yes I expect what it may be like is looking thru that "arctic glass" they have in bathroom windows... AND as hard as it is for us to grasp things out there are always on the move...
It needs study..over a long time..one could think you may observe a star moving before it blinks out..it probably would not be moving for this exercise but perceived movement could be the result of moving into or out of a gravitational field that plays havoc with the otherwise straight path of star light...anyways tracking it may suggest what is going on..
Alex
Old 28-09-2021, 10:33 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Alex & All,

For the most part, almost certainly a data artefact arising from the digitisation of the original plates, or the plates taken at Palomar, ESO Chile and Siding Spring. Some would be small solar-system bodies (asteroids etc) that have since moved. Some would be uncatalogued variable stars caught in a flare-state or in a brightness dip. I suspect ultimately that very, very few (a few handfuls at most) would ultimately have no readily identifiable explanation. That doesn't mean an explanation doesn't exist, it's just that we haven't identified it yet.

To be definitely declared "missing" I would want a comparison with the actual plates rather than the digitised versions.

Best,

L.