Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 01-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Ian Robinson

I asked them some questions :

I have an Orion Autoguider , is your autoguider handpaddle uprocessor unit compatible with this ? - would be handy to not need to lump a notebook about or use a PC .

I also have two GEMs , an older CELESTRON CG5 (not the goto version) and a VIXEN New Atlux (the one that uses a Starbook controller
Is your uprocessor (handpaddle) compatible with my old CG5 (or do you have a convertor to make this work) ?
Is it compatible with my New Altux ?

Cost of the uprocessor and cabling adapters needed for the CG5 ?

Their answers :
Hello Ian,

Thank you for your interest with LVI Smartguider camera!

No, the Smartguider handpaddle cannot be used at all with any of the autoguiding camera out there!
You must consider the whole Smartguider system to autoguide your shots through the Starbook controller. This mount is fully compatible with the Smartguider camera.

The old CG5 mount can be used as well, but you strictly need a dual axis drive featuring a ST4 port at least.
The cheapest solution I know is the Astromeccanica DA1 drive, find attached some doc. Just ignore the autoguiding section enclosed in the manual, this is referred to an old webcam based procedure!! The Smartguider will simply plug into the DA1's ST4 port to succesfully work. Nothing less, nothing more.
The Astromeccanica AM-V motor replacement is fully compatible with your own CG5 mount, just consider black housing motors instead of green ones.

As an additional bonus, there at least 2 free softwares capable of allowing a PC based goto through the DA1 system!

http://www.bloomingstars.com/vega/so...-JDA1/english/
http://eqalign.sourceforge.net/eqali...QAlign_Project

It's anything available at stock, the whole DA1 system (drive unit + cables + motors) is priced 325 euro + shipping.

If you're interested in a bundle autoguiding kit (Smartguider + DA1) for your CG5, I can quote you a nice offer.
Just let me know.

..... well , looks like I'll be using my notebook to interface with the autoguider .... bummer !!!

and no my old CG5 has no ST4 port on the handpaddle.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Gama

Hi Guys,
Theres a lot of questions out there about this method versus the costs.
As said earlier, theres pro's and con's to each method of guiding.
Yes its expensive, but not because of the current pricing, but thanks to the freakin dollar. This was supposed to be available for around the $700 mark, but thanks to the 30% dollar drop, we are paying for the @#@% up's of the U.S.A.
For DSLR users, theres nothing better than just setting up your scope and DSLR, then just plug in the guider, press a couple of buttons, and your guiding. Like it was said, no cables, no laptop, no software !. No messing around with settings and frustrations on why it didnt work the other night, etc.
There is also some use when used along side a computer/Laptop as well.
You dont need to run multiple software applications, which slow up the computer, and also take up extra bandwidth or CPU time. Not to mention crashes, reboots, thanks to Microsoft for this..
This guider setup is stand alone and is designed as one item, and so is not compatible with other cameras.
I believe that "MyAstroshop" in QLD and possibly other dealers will be getting an evaluation unit soon, so many of your questions will be answered.

Theo
Old 03-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
What's a TV guider? Is that by Televue? I just checked their site and I couldn't see it mentioned.

Greg.
Here's the site. a good unit, but VERY limited manufacturing run. He builds them when he feels like it - so for me as useless as.

I like the sound of this standalone guider very much, but might wait to see what happens with the dollar for a little while.

The site (in Czech): http://foto.astronomy.cz/TVGuider.htm