Old 10-12-2020, 11:33 AM
taylorhan (Jialuo)

DSLR modification

Hi everyone,

I just tried my first shot last weekend.
This time I want to do some modification to DSLR because cooled CMOS is so expensive!!!
Do you guys have any model suggestions? I found Canon 6D, 600D seem a suitable camera.
And as for the BCF filter, I did not see any place selling it here, how do you guys do your camera modification?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2020, 12:52 PM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

It's a big subject
I suggest you teach yourself from articles and youtube video's
There are lots of options regarding camera bodies and what works best for the type of imaging you want to do. Modifications to your DSLR will often render it less than perfect for normal imaging afterwards.
Take your time as imaging can become a blackhole of money and resources.
Or join a local astronomy group and learn from others in your area
Old 11-12-2020, 06:56 AM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

I have to agree. Most of the major companies (Canon is one) will refuse to have anything to do with a DSLR that's been modded, so you aren't going to get a lot of technical help outside other club members and the odd article here and there in the web. There's lots of information available - read it carefully, and if in doubt, ask someone before you start.

On another note, the 60D is a good choice, as the rear screeen is articulated and can be folded out at a variety of angles, which can make it helpful if you don't have a good viewing angle after it's been mounted. Remember too that it has an APS-C sized sensor.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:24 AM
doppler (Rick)

Hi, here are some step by step guides for modding canon camera's.
http://dslrmodifications.com/rebelmod450d1.html
Rick
Old 11-12-2020, 01:51 PM
Muzfox (Murray)

I modded an 1100d I picked up following the guides at the link above. Went very smooth except for 1 screw in the housing that threaded itself and I broke the AA filter when removing them off the sensor. I couldn't easily locate any sort of baader filter to go back in so I just went full naked sensor, and picked up a CLS-CCD clip in filter which worked perfectly.

Now I have added a flattener for my ED72 I use 2" filters direct on that now (currently loving the l-enchance) and very happy with results.

Figuring the fact the camera cost me $100 it was well worth the attempt. I'm not fussed about an articulating screen at all as I run everything off the laptop now. Only been at this since April and it's a lot of fun I've attached a photo of what I'm currently working on, around 5 hours of data so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Flame2.jpg)
187.9 KB83 views
Old 03-01-2021, 02:24 PM
Crater101 (Warren)
Mostly Harmless

I'm certainly no expert at this, but that's coming along very nicely.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:47 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Looking good! Certainly plenty of Halpha there
Old 04-01-2021, 02:15 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorhan View Post
Hi everyone,

I just tried my first shot last weekend.
This time I want to do some modification to DSLR because cooled CMOS is so expensive!!!
Do you guys have any model suggestions? I found Canon 6D, 600D seem a suitable camera.
And as for the BCF filter, I did not see any place selling it here, how do you guys do your camera modification?

Thanks!
IMHO modded DSLR’s expose to much Ha , I left my 600D unmodded and still exposed enough in nebulas
Your obviously working to a budget and DSLR’s are a great way to enter the hobby ( I used one for over 3 years and now use it for planetary work ) but after a few years of dealing with all that noise , you will eventually buy a Cooled CMOS , they are incredible compared to the humble DSLR particularly in noise and dynamic range , chalk and cheese
Good luck with it !!!
Old 05-01-2021, 12:01 AM
RyanJones

I used a modified Canon 350d. It died while I was trying to add a cold finger to it. ( worked too well and filled the electronics with dew ). So I had another 350d that i modded myself. It is fiddly work and not easy if you have large stumpy fingers but it is doable and totally worth the effort. The sense of achievement you get from having done it yourself makes it all the more worthwhile. The 350d was an entry level APSC camera 15 years ago and as such you can pick up working ones second hand for not much more than $50. Add an intervalometer and you’re on your way !

Good luck

Cheers

Ryan