Old 13-06-2020, 02:07 PM
Star Catcher (Ted Dobosz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
That’s a really good image for limited data
Sorry to ask questions but what was your setting on cooling being in Sydney on a average winters night ?
I ran it on -15C and the % power being used was around 50% from memory. I did ramp it up to -20C as a test and it hit somewhere in the mid 70% range. It really is a bit difficult to say what the ambient was but I think a delta of -20C is probably more realistic in a Sydney winter. I don't believe there is much to gain beyond that temperature.
Old 13-06-2020, 02:12 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Catcher View Post
Well I do not profess to be clear on this matter. I just took it to be the same as the unity gain on my 294MC graph where it shows 117 at the SHG point and so assumed that 100 point on the ASI2600 graph to be unity gain. I guess it really depends on whether you want or need the full dynamic range for your image. Also whether you are running with many short or longish exposures etc etc. In darker skies and looking to record faint nebulosty or subtle dust details above background you would run with 0 gain and go from there.

Probably when I get it I will run a couple of test nights on a variety of targets. In a good night this time of year I can probably rely on getting about 100 X 5 minute subs, so a couple of nights shooting bright and dim targets at 0 and 100 gain X 50 subs each will be a worthwhile investment.
Old 13-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Ted
The specs on this camera are unbelievable in regards to dark current so I would have assumed setting the cooling to -5 C to -10 C would have been more than adequate if the outside ambient temperature is around +8 to +12 C during a typical Sydney winter. Lots of testing to do I suppose but that’s half the fun with a new camera
Thanks
Old 13-06-2020, 04:02 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

That's uber video astronomy! Awesome live stacking