Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2020, 04:54 PM
Startrek (Martin)

It’s been a ordinary year so far for Astronomy on the eastern seaboard of NSW ( Sydney to Ulladulla)
January fires
February flooding and cloudy
March Ok
April Ok but Cloudy
May Ok
June Rain
July Rain
August Rainy start

NB: most of the rain and cloudy days / nights have occurred during the new moon period as well

I think I’ve only managed around 12 to 14 nights of decent imaging and 6 or 7 nights of observing over nearly 8 months
Last year it was almost double those figures

I still prefer the cooler months ( May to Sept ) to image and observe , earlier starts , longer nights, no insects etc and more objects
Summer , short nights , moths , bugs , mozzies , humidity and more light pollution from neighbours entertaining BBQ etc...

This winter has been disappointing to say the least
Even on the few cloud free nights through winter , the seeing has been poor

Grumble grumble .........
Old 11-08-2020, 03:41 PM
Allan

The grass at my Coolah property always burns off and turns crunchy and brown over the winter because of the frosts. Not this year. It’s still luscious green. I’ve observed all through winter and the coldest night I’ve struck this year was 0C, with lots of sessions where it only got down to 5C. So it’s been warmer than usual.

Some days have been quite warm already. Had a very active brown snake at the door a couple of weeks ago, so they are waking up already. No surprises for another record breaking summer.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:43 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Got to -3.2° last night, but a glorious day today. Rain tomorrow, for the next 5 days at least.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
It’s been a ordinary year so far for Astronomy on the eastern seaboard of NSW ( Sydney to Ulladulla)
January fires
February flooding and cloudy
March Ok
April Ok but Cloudy
May Ok
June Rain
July Rain
August Rainy start

I still prefer the cooler months ( May to Sept ) to image and observe , earlier starts , longer nights, no insects etc and more objects
Summer , short nights , moths , bugs , mozzies , humidity and more light pollution from neighbours entertaining BBQ etc...

This winter has been disappointing to say the least
Even on the few cloud free nights through winter , the seeing has been poor

Grumble grumble .........
I have to agree with you Martin, it has been very ordinary for most of this year on the east coast, for the reasons you listed. At least the sun has made an appearance this afternoon and the clouds have parted, just hoping that it stays that way for tonight, would be a novelty though.