Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 29-04-2011, 11:33 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Acer Aspire 5742 Battery Operation Crash

Heyy all, so ive got a new laptop i got from hardly normal. It was on sale for 598 from 998, so i couldnt resist and just grabbed it up.. the problem is, when i unplug the power so i can use it with battery power instead of the AC, It freezes. I can't move the mouse, Ctrl-Alt-Delete doesnt work, nothing works, so i have to cold start it :\ and i dont think its too good for the lappy.. does anyone know whats causing this? or how to fix it?

Cheers
Tony
Old 30-04-2011, 06:18 AM
supernova1965 (Warren)
Buddhist Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Heyy all, so ive got a new laptop i got from hardly normal. It was on sale for 598 from 998, so i couldnt resist and just grabbed it up.. the problem is, when i unplug the power so i can use it with battery power instead of the AC, It freezes. I can't move the mouse, Ctrl-Alt-Delete doesnt work, nothing works, so i have to cold start it :\ and i dont think its too good for the lappy.. does anyone know whats causing this? or how to fix it?

Cheers
Tony
If you just got it don't muck about just take it straight to Hardly Normal and tell them to replace it as best option if they won't do this then tell them fix it. But I would rather have a replacement as it may be a lemon
Old 30-04-2011, 07:22 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

As Warren says, take it back and get them to replace it. If they wont replace it, get a refund.

I would try to avoid them fixing it. (it is brand new, fixing means opening it up and scratches etc can ensue)

Understand your consumer law, which changed at the beginning of 2011 and became a standard national law.

Can I choose the remedy I want?

The law makes an important distinction between minor failures to comply with the consumer guarantees and major failures.

Your remedy options depend on whether the problem with your good is:
  • a major failure, or
  • a minor failure.
For minor problems with goods

Minor failures to comply with a consumer guarantee can normally be fixed or resolved in a reasonable amount of time.
In this case, the seller can choose to offer you a refund, replacement or repair. This must be provided free of charge and within a reasonable time depending on the circumstances.
If the seller refuses to fix the problem or takes too long, you may be able to get it fixed by someone else and recover the costs from the seller.
You cannot immediately reject the goods and demand a refund - you must give the supplier a chance to fix the problem.
For major problems with goods

If there is a major failure with the goods, you can:
  • reject the goods and get a refund
  • reject the goods and get an identical replacement, or one of similar value if reasonably available, or
  • keep the goods and get compensation for the drop in value caused by the problem.
You get to choose, not the supplier or manufacturer.
Major failures to comply with a consumer guarantee cannot be fixed or are too difficult to fix.

There is a major problem with a product when:
  • you would not have purchased the product if you had known about the problem. For example, you would not have bought the washing machine if you had known the motor would fail after three months.
  • the product is significantly different from the description, sample or demonstration model you were shown. For example, you ordered a red bicycle from a catalogue but the bicycle delivered was green.
  • the product is substantially unfit for its normal purpose and cannot easily be made fit within a reasonable time. For example, the raincoat you bought is not waterproof because it is made from the wrong material.
  • the product is substantially unfit for a purpose that you told the supplier about, and cannot easily be made fit within a reasonable time. For example, you told the seller you needed a car to tow a boat, but the car they sold you is not powerful enough to tow your boat because its engine is too small.
  • the product is unsafe. For example, the electric blanket has faulty wiring.
Who is responsible for fixing the problem with my goods?

In most cases, the supplier – the person or business who sold, leased or hired the goods to you – will be responsible for fixing the problem. This is because most consumer guarantees are made by the supplier.

In some cases, the guarantees are given by the manufacturer. You can seek a repair or a replacement directly from a manufacturer or importer where there is a failure of the consumer guarantees for:
  • acceptable quality
  • matching description
  • repairs and spare parts
  • express warranties.
If the manufacturer or importer cannot repair or replace the product in a reasonable time you may also be able to claim damages for a reduction in the product’s value, or for losses that could be reasonably attributed to its failure.
Only the seller can give you a refund. This means you cannot ask the manufacturer for a refund unless you purchased the goods directly from them.
Old 30-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

I bought one of that model from Harvey Norman at a very heavy discount back in Dec. Works very well for me. If you have a problem take it back.
(BTW the only issue I find is the keyboard and the speaker volume - the keys are spaced further apart than say my old Dell so I find typing a bit more difficult than previous; the speakers are pretty hopeless - screen is nice though.)
Old 30-04-2011, 11:36 AM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

I had more or less the same problem with an ASUS laptop that has been going on for months. Nothing to do with the Battery or the AC unit, but the freezing problem was ID to yours. Turned out to be (I think) RAM module not seated correctly. I spent months replacing drivers, uninstalling software, shutting down services, reading trouble shooting articles, reformatting. Last week I decided to rip the RAM & the HD out & reseat the things. I think it's worked!

EDIT: Forgot to ask; any BSOD's associated with the freezing? If so there will be a record of the problem.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:37 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

i just returned it for store credit and bought a better model
Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
supernova1965 (Warren)
Buddhist Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
i just returned it for store credit and bought a better model
Good choice