Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 13-06-2021, 12:38 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex Needs Our Support

Perhaps some folks will see this as inappropriate, but I wanted to remind IIS members that our mate Alex is battling cancer and needs our moral support. I had a text conversation with Alex this morning, and he is struggling with his situation, yet he still took the time to contact me to ask about my hospital procedure a few days ago; that's the kind of mate he is.
Alex is bedridden at the moment, but still has big astronomy plans for when he can get up.
Please take some time to support Alex in his battle, and in keeping up his spirits. You can do this through communicating with him here on IIS, be it through his existing threads, private messages, or posting in this thread, which i hope he will read.

Alex's ID on IIS is: xelasnave.

Last edited by glend; 13-06-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 13-06-2021, 01:14 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

All the best Alex some of us have fought off the big C Let's hope you can do the same.
Old 13-06-2021, 02:06 PM
leon

Alex and I have and still do exchange PM's on a regular basis, he is a great friend of mine, and I feel sad at his situation, however a more positive man one would find hard to find.
His words to me were, "Don't feel sad I am not, but savor ever moment"

Leon
Old 13-06-2021, 02:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Glen but please dont worry ... your post is wonderful but I am ok...after our chat I felt so uplifted I made the effort and had a short walk down the drive, (its a start and starting is always the hardest part) the girls were out so were not able to stop me, then I boiled an egg and had it and a cup of soup, then I did have to go back to bed admittedly but I took a drawing pad and started planning the observatory to build up here seeing it looks as if I wont be able to live unsupervised...anyways I am doing great...only a few minutes ago discovered I mixed up my cancer meds such that for the last five days I have been taking 6 mgs too much and I am hopeful that is the reason the last couple of days have been difficult as the initial warning that came with them listed heaps of negative side effects and I was on already a max dose...so one could expect that may be the problem...anyways I have at least had some exercise and something to eat so it can only be up from here.
Its all good so please no one worry...its all probably a false alarm ...and probably taking too much of the meds will break its back...anyways I think a roll away shed is the way to go ..the big issue will be convincing certain folk that its a good idea.
Thanks to all but I will be ok for sure.
Alex
Old 13-06-2021, 03:47 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
Very kind gesture by Glen to advise us of your situation but I’m sure like most folk here on IIS that have been touched by your kindness and thoughtfulness that your an extremely strong person and will do everything you can to get back to normality as soon as possible
Keep focused and positive always
Clear Skies
Best
Martin
Old 13-06-2021, 04:21 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks Glen but please dont worry ... your post is wonderful but I am ok...after our chat I felt so uplifted I made the effort and had a short walk down the drive,
Good stuff Alex and good on you Glen for the idea. Alex: I hope the sun was out for your walk with a little of its warmth. You are in our hearts and minds with every possible best wish for your health.

Best
JA
Old 13-06-2021, 05:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Good stuff Alex and good on you Glen for the idea. Alex: I hope the sun was out for your walk with a little of its warmth. You are in our hearts and minds with every possible best wish for your health.

Best
JA
I was sitting in my wheel chair which I wheeled to a beautiful sunny spot to watch the chooks and to chat to Glen so I used it as a walker for my little walk in the Sun,...having it handy by pushing it gave me the confidence to have a go..it was very nice in the Sun and you would not believe how interesting chooks can be..I managed 2 small pancakes with jam tonight and I am feeling great ...I even had a peek outside just now for only a minute and as I had been sleeping my eyes were dark adapted and I instantly saw the Milky Way and got in and out with only my walking stick. I am happy.
Alex
Old 14-06-2021, 07:58 AM
JA

Quote:
..I managed 2 small pancakes with jam tonight and I am feeling great ...
Mmmmmmm Pancakes. Pancakes are a superfood... . I also love them with jam or if you're feeling like something different a little butter, squeeze of lemon and light dusting of sugar or drizzle of honey.

Best
JA
Old 14-06-2021, 08:14 AM
N1 (Mirko)

...or with apple sauce and some raw sugar sprinked over it
Alex, hope the RASA isn't too far away now...
Old 14-06-2021, 08:22 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

G’day Alex. There are plenty of personalities on IIS but few real “characters”. You are one of (perhaps the only) real “character” in the sense of someone who is able to be eccentric yet thoughtful, informed yet open to the new. Your mixture of tongue-in-cheek wit and larrakin plain old $#@&-stirring is what has made you an invaluable contributor to our little community. Keep it up.
Old 14-06-2021, 08:30 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

In an effort to generate some sort of desire to eat I have been watching videos from this channel...
https://www.facebook.com/tasteshowne...8820644075285/
Alex
Old 14-06-2021, 08:45 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
...or with apple sauce and some raw sugar sprinked over it
Alex, hope the RASA isn't too far away now...
Apparently it has arrived but I told John at Bintel until the camera is here, in general all the stuff needed to set up and shoot, there is no point in taking delivery...and what I hope is that I get a bit better so the girls dont think I am crazy taking delivery in bed..I said this to Glen..its like when I got my first motocross race bike I had to train up to be able to use it...so this morning I took a little walk down the drive telling myself it is just like the racing days and you just dont hop on and race...and after I recover I am doing another walk and hell or high water am going to eat something..hopefully crispy skin duck ...anyways thats what I will think about as I have a wheatbix...just seeing the Milly Way last night was so good..perfect seeing of course to encourage me...what I realise is it really does not matter what happens tomorrow all that matters is you enjoy this present moment so the RASA will arrive when it is ready but while I wait I can do other stuff..like train up to manage a short imaging session or find another water bear or move forward with my guitar playing...all really wonderful.
Alex
Old 14-06-2021, 09:10 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
G’day Alex. There are plenty of personalities on IIS but few real “characters”. You are one of (perhaps the only) real “character” in the sense of someone who is able to be eccentric yet thoughtful, informed yet open to the new. Your mixture of tongue-in-cheek wit and larrakin plain old $#@&-stirring is what has made you an invaluable contributor to our little community. Keep it up.
You are too kind.

It is funny I see myself as the "normal" one in the group who occasionally may draw attention to some of the funny behaviours humans entertain which if they could take the time to stand back and observe with some impartial approach they too would be as highly entertained as I find myself just watching things go by.

The pity is my approach is lost on so many who I fear use their image of me to support their negative judgement of folk who do not fit their expectations of "normal" and to them I say I am sincerely sorry that I cause offence and suggest that letting me get under your skin is better avoided... because I am just a lonely old man dribbling on with a keyboard at my finger tips.

In my defence I could plead that I am not entirely uneducated but choose to present as approachable, kind and non judgmental so folk may think astronomy is a domain where even mere mortals can feel at home.

Alex
Old 15-06-2021, 10:14 AM
toc (Tim)

Gotta say - I aspire to the beard in your profile pic Alex
Old 15-06-2021, 10:51 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc View Post
Gotta say - I aspire to the beard in your profile pic Alex
Thank you but it had to come off for the operation ... And the hair brought back from shoulder length. Here are before and after ( June last year and a month back).
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20210405_073422_resize_73.jpg)
60.3 KB52 views
Click for full-size image (IMG20210610132853_resize_25.jpg)
139.9 KB61 views
Old 15-06-2021, 11:06 AM
toc (Tim)

Leonardo Da Vinci inspired!
Old 15-06-2021, 11:37 AM
Constant (David)

Quote:
Thank you but it had to come off for the operation ... And the hair brought back from shoulder length. Here are before and after ( June last year and a month back).
Alex

Alex,

For one, I'm impatiently awaiting your delivery of awesomeness, we need the pics! There is a ZWO shipment (Bintel) due at Thursday/Friday you maybe seeing an in-part delivery of your order, possibly next week?

David
Old 15-06-2021, 04:24 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc View Post
Leonardo Da Vinci inspired!
He was and still is one of my "heros", along with Nickola Tesla, Sir Isaac Newton and Marhatma Ghandi..and not to be sexist I have a longer list of female hero's, starting with my mother, my grandmother, all my aunties, my first wife , my second wife, all my secretaries and female assistants over the years all of who guided me to be a decent human being and a kind and compassionate man.

And I hold everyone in the medical profession on a pedestal above that of hero.

The money I saved in razors and hair cuts would no doubt pay for my astronomy gear.
I am happy with my new look although shaving is somewhat tiresome.

Alex
Old 15-06-2021, 04:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant View Post
Alex,

For one, I'm impatiently awaiting your delivery of awesomeness, we need the pics! There is a ZWO shipment (Bintel) due at Thursday/Friday you maybe seeing an in-part delivery of your order, possibly next week?

David
I will strive to live up to your expectations.

Thank you for the news re a possible delivery that gives me some lead time to present a fit and healthy image around here.
Alex
Old 15-06-2021, 04:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks everyone I am today feeling much better and that no doubt is due to the support, encouragement and kindness I experience from each of your contributions.
Today I had twice as much to eat as yesterday and completed a full walk up and down part of the drive being safe by using my walker..I also bit the bullet and did two sets of five "stand ups" and honestly feel as if I am getting power back into my legs...I even have felt warmer. So it will be an early night although to keep my enthusiasm up I may take a peek at the Sky and check conditions...like get some sort of routine going around astronomy again... All good.
Alex