Old 14-01-2022, 12:33 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

I bought a Blue one

This is a bit of a follow up/firstlight comment following the thread from iborg re OSC for a C8, in which I commented on my QHY8 Pro's attributes, specifically large APS-C sensor and pixel size.

I then ran across a YT video by Cuiv regarding OEM cameras available through AliExpress, etc: https://tinyl.io/5XIm, which piqued my interest (too many cloudy nights at that time). I was interested in a CMOS camera to suit Hyperstar/C8 work, at which time I would consider selling my CCD QHY8 Pro to help defray the cost.

TCALSS, I went ahead and bought a blue coloured clone of the ASI294MC a couple of weeks ago on AE, and it arrived safe and sound last Tuesday. Service was excellent, with free UPS expedited shipping and full tracking. It took about one week and there were no additional charges at this end. Total cost was about $450 less than local vendors, all of whom currently quoted no stock anyway.

You can choose different sensor/pixel configurations on the AE vendor website, I went for a 19mm x 13mm OSC sensor with 4.5um pixels and inbuilt IR cut for a 10MB size, as it was a few hundred dollars cheaper and suited my needs.

So far so good, it works well with Nina but I'm still fighting PA with my AzEq6, so haven't yet taken any serious pics. Cooling and software are both good.

Couple of unboxing pics below for those who may be interested.

Summary opinion: As Cuiv and https://tinyl.io/5XIr (German OP) say, much of the Chinese product these days seems to come from OEMs anyway, with rebranding feverishly occurring at vendors websites. This is one example.

Although saving quite a few hundred dollars and getting delivery of something that was apparently no stock in Oz, I also took the risk of shonky products, no local warranty or service and increased risk of shipping damage. Fortunately so far so good. Would I do it again? I'd certainly consider it, as sometimes the local prices on "box imports" just don't seem to justify the higher markups, considering the importers' far more favourable purchasing factors, but that's just my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Camera case.jpg)
110.3 KB79 views
Click for full-size image (Camera rear.jpg)
78.5 KB71 views
Click for full-size image (Camera mount.jpg)
151.0 KB112 views
Click for full-size image (Camera NINA.jpg)
106.2 KB71 views

Last edited by mldee; 14-01-2022 at 12:42 PM. Reason: splleing
Old 14-01-2022, 12:48 PM
AdamJL

First thing.. that's cool. I've heard about these cameras, and would love to hear longer term reviews about how they perform.

Secondly... is that a... full sized PC on your mount?!?!
Old 14-01-2022, 01:40 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Is that a full-sized PC?

Well, I guess it depends on what you call "Full sized"
It's a "Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 Tiny PC Intel i5-6500T @2.5GHz 8GB 128GB SSD Win 10 Wifi" from Ebay, $315.
I have a collection of cheapish NUCs but use a similar Lenovo I7 for my main desktop computer, very reliable.

I just decided that the Tiny PC format is not really that big or heavy, and gives you a decent CPU for the money, plus loads of RAM, USB ports, good wifi etc. It just sits there with a couple of Velcro straps underneath and you can even put more junk on top of it if you wish. Only drawback is the 19V power.

The final side by side config for the AzEq6 mount will be the C8/Hyperstar plus an SVBony 50mm guidescope/asi120mm
Old 14-01-2022, 01:47 PM
Marko of Oz (Mark)

And it came with a power supply by the look, something other manufacturers need to consider.
Old 14-01-2022, 03:09 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
Well, I guess it depends on what you call "Full sized"
It's a "Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 Tiny PC Intel i5-6500T @2.5GHz 8GB 128GB SSD Win 10 Wifi" from Ebay, $315.
I have a collection of cheapish NUCs but use a similar Lenovo I7 for my main desktop computer, very reliable.

I just decided that the Tiny PC format is not really that big or heavy, and gives you a decent CPU for the money, plus loads of RAM, USB ports, good wifi etc. It just sits there with a couple of Velcro straps underneath and you can even put more junk on top of it if you wish. Only drawback is the 19V power.

The final side by side config for the AzEq6 mount will be the C8/Hyperstar plus an SVBony 50mm guidescope/asi120mm
I mean there's a Tiny PC, and then there's the Mini PC.

https://i.imgur.com/JLhRaiH.jpg

Full props/respect for you to get that machine on your mount though. I never would have though it would be possible, but you've done it and that's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko of Oz View Post
And it came with a power supply by the look, something other manufacturers need to consider.
Agreed. Even just the power cable would be good (looking at you, ZWO)
Old 14-01-2022, 03:41 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
... I also took the risk of shonky products, no local warranty or service and increased risk of shipping damage. Fortunately so far so good. Would I do it again? I'd certainly consider it...
Kudos for taking the risk.
I've had my mouse hovering over the 'Buy' button many a time only to wimp out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
I mean there's a Tiny PC, and then there's the Mini PC.
And then there's the two attached.
Left one is the MeLE Quieter2 (fanless) which I'm impatiently awaiting delivery.
From all accounts it's able to run NINA, Sharpcap and PHD2 without cracking a sweat.
Right one is a new Celeron N5105 (Jasper Lake) that I really really wanted to try but so new I haven't been able to find any reviews or photo's other than marketing. Very tempting, but I wimped out... (See above re: 'Buy' button ) ...and got the proven MeLEQ2 instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MeleQ2.jpg)
5.5 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (ZX01.jpg)
25.4 KB38 views

Last edited by MrB; 14-01-2022 at 03:46 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 14-01-2022, 04:04 PM
AdamJL

Post back regarding that PC if you can!! I saw CUIVs video about it, it looks awesome
Old 10-02-2022, 06:59 PM
evltoy (Wayne)

So any feedback on the camera?

Does it have ASCOM drivers to use with APT etc? I wonder if the ZWO ASIair would connect to it.