ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2022, 11:46 AM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

Some shots from a recent trip

It's been a while since I've posted here

Just got back from a trip to a dark sky site (Bendleby Ranges in the Flinders Ranges in SA). Some shots from there, all taken with a GSO RC8 on a Mach1 mount with a ZWO ASI294MM-Pro

Comet Leonard: just luminance, 103x10s. A quickie whilst waiting for it to get dark :-)
Found this hard to process (mainly cos I've only processed one comet before), but had trouble separating the comet. So instead merged a stack aligned on the stars with a stack aligned on the comet (to get detail in the core).

NGC1566 (LRGB): about 15.5 hours. The colour data (4.5 hours) was very ropey for some reason, but enough luminance (11 hours) to overcome that to some extent.

IC443 in SHO: about 16 hours - 8 of that in the 'burbs from last month. This is the best of the HSO, SHO etc combos I played with. Still not quite happy. Hard to find a combo that looks ok - esp when I'm not that keen on magenta! Hard one to capture as only just over 30 degrees at peak.

Higher res and more deets are in my astrobin page https://www.astrobin.com/users/DiscoDuck/

Comments/crticisms more than welcome as always.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IISA.jpg)
188.4 KB101 views
Click for full-size image (IISB.jpg)
192.4 KB81 views
Click for full-size image (IISC.jpg)
149.2 KB78 views
Old 09-01-2022, 01:01 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

They are all spectacular but that NGC1566 image. It looks like something that would be published by ESO or NASA.
Old 09-01-2022, 01:17 PM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

Thanks for your kind words, Adrian.
Old 09-01-2022, 01:36 PM
Dave882 (David)

A wonderful set of images! I agree the NGC1566 is spectacular. Absolutely beautiful!!!
Old 09-01-2022, 04:02 PM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

Thanks, David.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:39 PM
pkinchington (Peter (Kanga))

I really like the galaxy shot!
Old 09-01-2022, 05:54 PM
gregbradley

Great shots. Your RC8 and 294 pairing are working out very nicely.

Love the Leonard shot and also the galaxy. Love the detail of IC443 but not the colour. I see this is mainly a northern hemisphere object. Never seen anyone in the southern hemisphere shoot that one.

If you get another chance it would be worth taking some Ha subs for 1566. There is quite a bit of star formation pinkish areas in those brighter inner spirals.

Greg.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:21 PM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinchington View Post
I really like the galaxy shot!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Great shots. Your RC8 and 294 pairing are working out very nicely.

Love the Leonard shot and also the galaxy. Love the detail of IC443 but not the colour. I see this is mainly a northern hemisphere object. Never seen anyone in the southern hemisphere shoot that one.

If you get another chance it would be worth taking some Ha subs for 1566. There is quite a bit of star formation pinkish areas in those brighter inner spirals.

Greg.
Thanks Greg.

Not keen on the colour myself re the Jellyfish, but couldn't find a combo I like. Perhaps taking more green out and going more orangey/browny than yellow might be less offensive?
With my simplistic approach with PI there are not many options. Of course, technically one can map the colours to anything you want. But not sure what would work best for that one. Most images online seem to be the more orangey/brown as I mentioned or go an HOO pseudo-natural colour (basically all red - fine on a larger shot IMHO but with a focus just on this section it is very red.

I'll add the orangey option to Astrobin anyway and see.

Thanks for the Ha tip re 1566. I'll give it a go if I get a chance. Much appreciated.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:27 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Love that comet shot. Sublime
Old 10-01-2022, 08:22 AM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Love that comet shot. Sublime
Thanks Marc
Old 10-01-2022, 09:31 AM
AdamJL

Oh wow, your NGC1566 shot is amazing! I love all of them, but that's my favourite. A wall-hanger, easily.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:10 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Lovely galaxy and comet, Senior Duck.

Not sure on the colour of the puff ball.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:16 PM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Oh wow, your NGC1566 shot is amazing! I love all of them, but that's my favourite. A wall-hanger, easily.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Lovely galaxy and comet, Senior Duck.

Not sure on the colour of the puff ball.
Thank you! Yeah, that Giant Space Brain I'm not sure how best to colour. Gone more orangey on Astrobin now. But I guess it all comes down to taste - or my lack of it
Old 10-01-2022, 01:39 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Love seeing your Flinders ranges expedition results Paulie, always exciting both to look at them and imagine your trips out to such a wonderful site to capture them...neeeever imagined I would have a similar place of my very own

Lovely Spanish Dancer, the outer arms seem to go forever, good on you for shooting the Jelly Fish nebula too, we don't see many of those from us down under, a fine result...and I love the comet, excellent capture for posterity

I'll go back to dreaming about one day, fiiiinally doing an expedition to the Flinders ranges ...

Mike
Old 10-01-2022, 01:59 PM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Love seeing your Flinders ranges expedition results Paulie, always exciting both to look at them and imagine your trips out to such a wonderful site to capture them...neeeever imagined I would have a similar place of my very own

Lovely Spanish Dancer, the outer arms seem to go forever, good on you for shooting the Jelly Fish nebula too, we don't see many of those from us down under, a fine result...and I love the comet, excellent capture for posterity

I'll go back to dreaming about one day, fiiiinally doing an expedition to the Flinders ranges ...

Mike
Thanks Mike. Yeah, jealous of your setup over there!!

Re the Flinders, your camping icon makes it look a bit rougher than it is. The wonderful hosts at Bendleby Ranges have shearers quarters accommodation with aircon in each room, and we have all mod cons in the kitchen! Very luxurious!!