Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
A wonderful image, Andy
Enjoying the framing and everything else about it

Top job!

Many thanks DJT - much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Fabulous looking image that Andy and great framing, very well done indeed Seriously, it's gotta be one of the most photogenic and coolest looking objects in the sky, even basic images of it look ok because it is just so intriguing and 3D, great versions, like this, just look plain awesome!

Good to hear you are going remote too, dark skies are a blessing and make lots more objects viable targets and processing easier

Mike

Cheers Mike - appreciate the feedback! Mind you when imaging something as amazing as this, it's important to try & get it right!
Yes can't wait for the next step, really over the suburban backyard obsy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markas View Post
Hi Andy,

Splendid
I think it's one of your very best - and there's a lot to choose from!
Mark

Cheers MArk - kind of you to say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Very tidy indeed.

Not sure about the neon palette

but the beautifully rendered stars and filigree details are very pretty.
Thanks Peter - but I like neon, think Blade Runner here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Very lovely and very aesthetically pleasing. Beautiful colours and detail. Top stuff.

Flight of the Navigator happens to be one of my favourite movies.

Hey Bart, thanks for dropping by, appreciate the feedback & glad you liked the movie too!
Old 10-01-2022, 12:35 PM
topheart

Wow!
Top shelf Andy!
Great framing and colour and detail!

Cheers,
Tim
Old 10-01-2022, 06:37 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

The framing & palette is other worldly. Inspiring stuff!
Old 11-01-2022, 01:26 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
By the way, Andy. The RGB shots, was that just for stars? If so, why did you choose 5min subs? And how did you not blow out the stars?
I was going to aim for about 60-90 seconds tops per RGB filter, but now you've made me question that.
Thought I would pipe in here (After checking with Andy first) The decision on RGB sub length more less was made by me by default while I was testing stuff for Andy.

The intent was to get the background comfortably off the noise floor but have few saturated pixels to preserve star colours, trying to fit the dynamic range of the camera best to the absolute range the sky gave. We applied the same logic to the NB data as well.

In the end at the time used, the minimum and median pixel values are each a couple of hundred ADC above a comparable dark frame and around 3000 pixels (Less than 0.2% of the frame) were saturated so basically only the very centers of the brightest stars would saturate and throw colours out of whack. We might have gotten away with slightly shorter subs too and get even those away from saturation but clear sky was too hard to come by to toss existing data so Andy pushed on at the same sub length. Some shorter subs threw calibration warnings in Astro Pixel Processor about excessive numbers of pixels clipping to zero, which I assumed to mean the subs were not long enough to get the background above the noise floor.

I have been applying the same logic to my ASI2600's of taking test subs to work out how long I can go before an arbitrary number of pixels saturate and going with that, to try to get the best star colours out of those cams too.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:59 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Thought I would pipe in here (After checking with Andy first) The decision on RGB sub length more less was made by me by default while I was testing stuff for Andy.

The intent was to get the background comfortably off the noise floor but have few saturated pixels to preserve star colours, trying to fit the dynamic range of the camera best to the absolute range the sky gave. We applied the same logic to the NB data as well.

In the end at the time used, the minimum and median pixel values are each a couple of hundred ADC above a comparable dark frame and around 3000 pixels (Less than 0.2% of the frame) were saturated so basically only the very centers of the brightest stars would saturate and throw colours out of whack. We might have gotten away with slightly shorter subs too and get even those away from saturation but clear sky was too hard to come by to toss existing data so Andy pushed on at the same sub length. Some shorter subs threw calibration warnings in Astro Pixel Processor about excessive numbers of pixels clipping to zero, which I assumed to mean the subs were not long enough to get the background above the noise floor.

I have been applying the same logic to my ASI2600's of taking test subs to work out how long I can go before an arbitrary number of pixels saturate and going with that, to try to get the best star colours out of those cams too.
Very interesting, Paul. Thanks for the write-up!

I had thought that all you were doing (I say "all you were doing" like it's a small thing.. I know it's not!) was stripping out the stars via Starnet or StarXterminator and then layering the star image on the bi-colour.
If that's the case, why does the noise floor matter? All you'd want are the stars? They won't be anywhere near the noise floor.
Total noob here, so forgive my ignorance with these things.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:42 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

You probably could do that but this was rooted in my workflow where I tend to build a good LRGB image and then layer the NB over that, rather than build a really nice bicolour or tricolour narrowband image and then lay in RGB stars. I try to make an RGB or LRGB image that I would be happy with as a stand alone before adding the NB.

Andy's comment elsewhere in this thread suggests he processed this one in the same way I do, building the RGB image and then layering in the NB.

Last edited by The_bluester; 11-01-2022 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:10 PM
AdamJL

Terrific. Thanks again, Paul (and sorry for the thread hijack, Andy!)
Old 11-01-2022, 04:46 PM
LKD (Luke)

Superb image so much detail to behold
Old 13-01-2022, 09:46 AM
vlazg (George)

Very nice Andy, interesting field and well composed.I wish I wasn’t restricted to late May until early September, missing out on subjects like this.
Old 14-01-2022, 10:17 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheart View Post
Wow!
Top shelf Andy!
Great framing and colour and detail!
Cheers,
Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuhead View Post
The framing & palette is other worldly. Inspiring stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKD View Post
Superb image so much detail to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
Very nice Andy, interesting field and well composed.I wish I wasn’t restricted to late May until early September, missing out on subjects like this.
Cheers Tim, Andrew, LKD & George - really appreciate your nice feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Terrific. Thanks again, Paul (and sorry for the thread hijack, Andy!)
No probs, we all learn more from each other!
Old 15-01-2022, 03:53 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

IOTD! Congrats!
Old 15-01-2022, 04:01 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

wow, that's exceptional Andy, one of the best ive seen. The astrobin pic at native res on a large 4k monitor is gobsmacking!!
Old 16-01-2022, 01:18 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuhead View Post
IOTD! Congrats!
Thanks Andrew, it's hard to please the Astrobin folk - must have done something right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
wow, that's exceptional Andy, one of the best ive seen. The astrobin pic at native res on a large 4k monitor is gobsmacking!!
Cheers Fred, thanks for dropping in and the nice feedback - delighted to hear that you enjoyed the image!
Old 19-01-2022, 01:11 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Well done on the IOTD Andy. Well deserved.