Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes

Old 04-01-2022, 05:29 PM
John K

50 hour wide-field time-lapse from the Wimmera

Happy New Year everyone!

Spent the Xmas - NY period on the Wimmera at Mt Arapiles capturing 50 hours worth of time lapses over 9 days.

The skies at Mt Arapiles are so nice and dark at it was great to be able to climb during the day and take time lapses of the summer Milky Way at night.

The in camera time lapse creation feature of the Nikon Z6II makes life way too easy and the result is quite pleasing even in the standard settings.

Features a night climbing scene, Southern Cross and Eta Carina rising, the hint of a small aurora, some still images including Comet Leonard, and off course some kangaroos at night!

Taken with a Nikon Z6ii, Samyang 14mm lens and a Syrp Genie II.

Footage shown as produced in-camera by the time-lapse feature of the Z6ii with no image manipulation. The result is quite pleasing and makes producing time lapses a breeze including using the simple and free movie making software by Nikon.

See link here:

https://youtu.be/1gdA4hdGiJ4

Clear skies.

John K.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:58 PM
AdamJL

Nice work, John! That was a pleasure to watch, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:23 PM
leon

Yep I agree nice work John.

Leon
Old 05-01-2022, 08:58 PM
wayne anderson (Wayne)

Hello John,

Great video of one of my favourite places Mt Arapiles, takes me back to my younger days, every year for 10 years in the 80s and 90s, we would regularly take 8 weeks off work in November and December and travel 14 hours to Mt Arapiles for climbing and astronomy.

Camping in open area along the trail to the right of the pines, we would climb most of the day and bbq and astronomy at nights, also did some night climbing, we had a 4.5inch Newtonian at first then an 8inch Meade LX200.

Beautiful dark sky and great atmosphere for camping and climbing, fond memories of the many climbs we did over the 10 years just to name a few of the classic climbs you might have climbed also or soon will.

Kachoong, Watchtower Crack, Arachnus, Skink, Tiptoe Ridge, The Bard, Missing Link, Thunder Crack, D Minor, Tannin, Eurydice, Pilot Error ............ the list goes on.

Great place for camping, climbing and astrophotography, thanks for your video, great work.

Wayne.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:15 AM
John K

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne anderson View Post
Hello John,

Great video of one of my favourite places Mt Arapiles, takes me back to my younger days, every year for 10 years in the 80s and 90s, we would regularly take 8 weeks off work in November and December and travel 14 hours to Mt Arapiles for climbing and astronomy.

Camping in open area along the trail to the right of the pines, we would climb most of the day and bbq and astronomy at nights, also did some night climbing, we had a 4.5inch Newtonian at first then an 8inch Meade LX200.

Beautiful dark sky and great atmosphere for camping and climbing, fond memories of the many climbs we did over the 10 years just to name a few of the classic climbs you might have climbed also or soon will.

Kachoong, Watchtower Crack, Arachnus, Skink, Tiptoe Ridge, The Bard, Missing Link, Thunder Crack, D Minor, Tannin, Eurydice, Pilot Error ............ the list goes on.

Great place for camping, climbing and astrophotography, thanks for your video, great work.

Wayne.
That's a great story Wayne!

Do you still climb?

Have often though about doing AP at Mt Arapiles, but the power hungry requirements of modern equipment as well as the fact that it's not as secure as it use to be there deters me from doing that - but it would be great to climb during the day and do AP at night.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:25 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Thanks John.
I enjoyed the video.
It takes me back to all nighters
at the scope,watching the sky go
round.
Cheers
Old 08-01-2022, 10:37 AM
PeterM

Stunning.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:44 AM
JA

Superb John - Well done
Video aside, which is excellent, there are many wonderful well composed frames which would make great stills.

Best
JA
Old 09-01-2022, 07:07 PM
John K

Thanks for the comments everyone,

and happy new year to you - lets hope it's a great one on all fronts.

John K.
Old 15-01-2022, 12:37 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

That was really enjoyable to watch