Old 21-12-2021, 11:33 AM
Lilac_dust (Jasmine)

Planetary/DSO First Camera

I was going to buy either a 183mc pro or 533mc pro but due to the price I'll be sticking to my DSLR, however as I need a guide cam I thought why not compromise and get a non cooled planetary cam. That way I can test the waters and learn the ways of an astrocam, use it as a guide and maybe even try DSO if possible.

I'll be purchasing a Redcat 51 as my first astrophotography scope but I also have a Dob 8 which I could use the cam on also.

I don't want to spend more than $400 AUD and I only want coloured so my options are; 224mc, 385mc, 462mc. Does anyone have some insight into what would be better out of the 3?

I'll attach FoV with both the Cat & Dob and ZWO comparison chart
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FOV2.jpg)
103.2 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (ZWO2.jpg)
199.5 KB30 views
Old 21-12-2021, 12:17 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I have a 462MC and it's a great little camera. Very sensitive.
Old 21-12-2021, 01:37 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Welcome Jasmine

If you want a camera that can do some DSO stuff as well as planetary and guide as well I would suggest a larger chip size of the 385mc and 462mc.
I have an 290mc which has a 2.1 mp sensor and have dabbled in doing some DSOs' with it as well as lunar & planets and it . Because it isn't cooled, noise is a problem but taking darks and flats helps a lot, that plus keeping exposures short.
Using my camera that way I have imaged the Trapezium in The Orion Neb , the Hourglass in the heart of the Lagoon Neb, the Keyhole in the Carina Neb and other objects used with an ED80 and EQ mount. Taking something like 100 exp. at 30 sec. is a good starting point for DSOs', with bright areas like the Trap maybe only 10 sec exp is needed to avoid blowing out the core.
Old 23-12-2021, 07:04 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

You should be able to get away without guiding on the short focal length redkat, if you do shortish subs and can polar with some accuracy.

I'd consider staying with your DSLR. It's got a bigger sensor then the mentioned astrocams. That will get you started. And give you a better idea of the size/type camera you would eventually progress to.

Good luck Jasmine!