Old 22-11-2006, 10:41 AM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

M42 adapter for canon 350d

I've bought an m42 adaptor fo my canon 350d and have used a thin plastic ring behind it to prevent shorting the ef contacts. Has anyone any better method of preventing shorting without introducing debris into the space behind the lens. I am only interested in using my old pentax lenses manually and wish to compare them to the cheap but servicable canon lenses that came with the camera.
regards philip
Old 22-11-2006, 11:43 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

shorting contacts???
i use m24 lenses on my 3000n and never thought shorting would be a problem
Old 22-11-2006, 05:29 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

hi ving the adapter i have is shiney metal and it toches the 4 contacts inside the camera. take a pic without insulation and an error message comes uop . ive read about this elsewhere. by the way whats an 3000n?
regards philip
Old 23-11-2006, 10:37 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

its a no digital canon slr. modern one...

my adapter is a black metal one.
Old 23-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Sharnbrook (Mike)

Hi Philip
I use an EOS/Nikon adapter as well as an EOS/M49 unit, and these are either stainless steel, or chrome plated brass, (ie metal not plastic), and both of them clear the contacts on my 300D, not by too much, but there is a clear space between them. However, I note that you say it touches the 4 contacts. On the 300D, there are 8 contacts at 6 o'clock. These are set in two groups, one bank of 3 on the left, which is set forward of the bank of 5 contacts that are to the right hand side. From what you say, it would appear that the layout on the 350D is somewhat different. I have attached a (very bad) shot of my 300D, taken with a little point and shoot that I can't focus close up, but it clearly shows what I mean. I would have thought that the easiest way to resolve your problem would be to gently file away some of the metal where it touches the contacts, but another option would be to mix up some Araldite or similar, and coat the rear of the adapter, thus insulating it from the contacts. (You could possibly use a couple of coats of contact adhesive in lieu of the epoxy.) Whatever you do, have a trial run first, and ensure the epoxy is thoroughly mixed, as you don't want any uncured glue on the contacts, as this would be very difficult to remove.

Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (300D contacts.jpg)
54.8 KB17 views
Old 23-11-2006, 08:41 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

thanks mike i did consider your suggestion earlier but was concerned that abrasion might produce debris that might get into the rear of the camera. i must consider it again . many thanks for your help .
regards philip