Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-12-2021, 10:28 PM
Graman (GR)

Managed to get a good look last couple of nights from Jarvis Bay. Sky is pretty dark here and conditions have been pretty clear (if a little windy). Can just about make it out using naked eye once you know where to look. Easily visible using 7 x 50 binos. Tail is definitely longer and more defined compared to last week (although that could just be suburban Sydney light pollution effect).

Really pleased to have caught a glimpse. Who knows what will happen next week as it goes around the sun!

Clear skies…
Old 31-12-2021, 09:07 AM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Missed out on looking for this comet on the 29th - which was the frist clear night in months where I live. Determined not to lose out yesterday, I drove out to a local lookout with a clear view to the west. It was a good thing that I programmed my mount with the co-ordinates of the comet before I left, otherwise would never have seen it. Failed to spot in twilight with 7x50 binoculars so I sent the mount to the position and there it was! A decent view was not forthcoming until totally dark - after 21:30. At 45X I could see a tight nucleus, much coma and a tail around 2 degrees. Far from the best comet I have seen - my first was Comet Bennet in 1970, and best for most us will always be McNaught in 2007.
Old 31-12-2021, 03:41 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Easily visible south of Jupiter, 10pm in the Nikon A211 10x50 Bino. Nucleus, coma, head and tail visible.
Well worth while making the effort, not too many great comets at the moment.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:03 PM
By.Jove (Jove)

Easily seen in 7 x 50 in dark skies about 9pm local time...
Old 02-01-2022, 05:13 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Had a look on NY eve and it finally popped at around 10.15pm..just before I gave up.
Nice obvious tail in the 11x70 binos and then in a 20mm Nagler in the lightbridge
Old 09-01-2022, 04:23 PM
WAussie (Clive)

I had some good views of Comet Leonard on the night of Christmas with binoculars and my 20 × 80 spotting scope, which my Mum used to see it as well. The tail was about 4 degrees long and I had a very close up view in my 14 inch scope - quite spectacular.