Old 25-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Deepfieldastro (Adam)

Astromodding Nikon D5300 filters

I've been doing my research about astromodding DSLR's but still have questions specifically regarding my setup (Nikon D5300 + Rokinon 14mm & 135mm lenses).

The DIY tutorial from lifepixel is very straight forward however I'm wondering which replacement internal filter to purchase from them?

I don't see a Ha internal replacement filter listed for sale, just the Ha conversion service they offer (living in Australia, not an option to send them my camera thus wanting to DIY)

Also does anyone have any good suggestions for light pollution clip in filters to use for Nikon d5300? Nikon's seem to luck out on the good filters

Last edited by Deepfieldastro; 25-01-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 25-01-2020, 03:52 PM
JA

The 14mm has no capability for external "normal" filters, but the 135mm will accept 77mm front screw in filters and you might use a suitable uv/ir cut or possibly other light pollution filter (Redhancer, UHC, dual narrow, if you can find one, etc...) to suit the full spectrum.

Alternatively you could try an in body clip in filter for Nikon APSc.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 25-01-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 26-01-2020, 09:39 AM
casstony

I modified my D5600 by removing the filter and leaving it as full spectrum. I use 2" filters between the camera and telescope.

When you do the mod remember to mark each screw position and count the number of turns to unscrew so that you can put them back in the same position. Also use a digital guage to measure the depth of the chip mounting plate on the 3 locating pins. Then you can put the chip back to the same position or move it forward by 1/3 the thickness of the glass removed if you go full spectrum.

I have a 77mm IDAS LPS P2 filter which I'm not using and would sell for $160 posted if you're interested.