Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 AM
RyanJones

Intermediate imaging page ?

A discussion has been had several times in the beginners imaging section that suggests a new intermediate imaging section might be beneficial to members. Many imagers don’t feel quite ready for the deep space section and yet their images are clearly beyond a beginners standard. Having an intermediate section would serve two purposes in giving these imagers a place to feel comfortable to transition to deep space but may also encourage real beginners to start posting given they are not comparing their early works to some of the images currently posted in beginners.

If you would like to see an intermediate page, please make yourself known here as a request to the Moderators of a change we’d like to see ?

Cheers

Ryan
Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Post directly in the deep space section.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Imme (Jon)

I’m with you Ryan, I see benefits.

We obviously have some VERY talented people on here....... maybe we request a ‘Pro’ section be opened and leave the deep space section as is. Pro could be an invite only or membership by vote type arrangement. I guess I’m saying Pro section would be the Showcase of Aussie talent for anyone to see..... basically the best of the best IIS Astro photographers.

I think doing it this way would give everyone a goal to strive for.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:22 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Ryan
I like your proactive idea and suggestion but ...
Why not change “Beginners” to “Beginners and Intermediates”
This would open the door a bit wider for starters and guys 3 years into the hobby like me , with different skill / experience levels ( beginner to intermediate ) to make the move to Deep Space a bit easier
Isn’t getting a bit complicated having a 3rd imaging section to look at from time to time
My 2 cents ....
Old 06-12-2019, 05:35 PM
foc (Ross)

I tend to agree with Martin, as the same argument could be made for solar system imaging threads and at the moment, there is probably not enough traffic to support a third thread there. But I also feel the force of the argument of not putting off new people since we need them. And it is a bit subjective, like other imagers I have not felt that my casual images are any where near the advanced level but they may be above the level of beginners (there is not that much beginner traffic to compare it to though).

Perhaps we just need more topics or incentives to enthuse newer imagers to post. Like collect gold stars for having an entry in each 'constellation of the month' or for solar system quest to have an image of each planet over 2020, or post your images made using the cheapest possible equipment or from unguided manual mounts etc. And in this age of busy time-poor people, it would be nice if people could just click to add 'likes' to others posts though that wish might be hard to implement for this website.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:14 PM
alpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by foc View Post
I tend to agree with Martin, as the same argument could be made for solar system imaging threads and at the moment, there is probably not enough traffic to support a third thread there. But I also feel the force of the argument of not putting off new people since we need them. And it is a bit subjective, like other imagers I have not felt that my casual images are any where near the advanced level but they may be above the level of beginners (there is not that much beginner traffic to compare it to though).

Perhaps we just need more topics or incentives to enthuse newer imagers to post. Like collect gold stars for having an entry in each 'constellation of the month' or for solar system quest to have an image of each planet over 2020, or post your images made using the cheapest possible equipment or from unguided manual mounts etc. And in this age of busy time-poor people, it would be nice if people could just click to add 'likes' to others posts though that wish might be hard to implement for this website.

I think it's OK as is.
People with DSLRs can post in the beginners section and those
with monos can post in Deep Space but it's not a hard and fast rule.
Let's be serious about it and say the truth -
no one here can compete with CHART32.
http://www.chart32.de/index.php/recent

cheers
Allan
Old 09-12-2019, 02:43 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I like Martin's idea of beginner and intermediate. Or just go for the deep space section - I did. I've received some really helpful comments from those that can really do it.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:17 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

what defines "intermediate". I'm against subdividing for no good gain overall. Nobody is expert, I'd prefer to remove any segregation of people.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:05 PM
RyanJones

We’re not talking about the separation of black and white and coloured images Sil

It seems this topic has its supporters and opposers which is good so we can hear the arguments for and against. There is no hard and fast line that you have to achieve to post anywhere. It’s certainly not about separation. I remember not all that long ago when I started imaging I was reading posts in the beginners section about pixel scale, FWHM and guiding deviations. It becomes quite overwhelming to a new player who is just trying to capture “ something “. Now I feel I’m at a level where I understand that sort of tech talk and am more comfortable around it but still quite intimidated by the quality of multi filter mono imaging that goes into some of the deep space section. That’s where I feel an intermediate section could help.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:59 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
I think it's OK as is.
People with DSLRs can post in the beginners section and those
with monos can post in Deep Space but it's not a hard and fast rule.
Let's be serious about it and say the truth -
no one here can compete with CHART32.
http://www.chart32.de/index.php/recent

cheers
Allan
Does that mean I should post my stock bog standard D810 images in the beginners section

I do agree with you though, there isn’t any hard and fast rule. When I started down my AP path the beginners section was very very quiet so I pretty much skipped it altogether.
I don’t personally think we need an intermediate section because, as it is, a good portion of the posters in the beginners section aren’t really beginners anymore but just don’t feel that their images are good enough for the deep space. Posting in the Deep Space section isn’t about posting perfection, I know, a good portion of the stuff I post isn’t crash hot for whatever reason

I would think that all that would happen is a merger of posters from beginners to intermediate sub forums and nothing would change other than the sub section you’re posting under.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:48 PM
alpal

Colin,
Quote:
Does that mean I should post my stock bog standard D810 images in the beginners section

I do agree with you though, there isn’t any hard and fast rule. When I started down my AP path the beginners section was very very quiet so I pretty much skipped it altogether.
I don’t personally think we need an intermediate section because, as it is, a good portion of the posters in the beginners section aren’t really beginners anymore but just don’t feel that their images are good enough for the deep space. Posting in the Deep Space section isn’t about posting perfection, I know, a good portion of the stuff I post isn’t crash hot for whatever reason

I would think that all that would happen is a merger of posters from beginners to intermediate sub forums and nothing would change other than the sub section you’re posting under.

Hi Colin,

Anyone with a great DSLR picture should post it in Deep Space.
Some DSLR pics are better than what some people churn out with a mono.
I think the idea of the beginners forum is to get feedback on how to do better.
Some of the imagers in Deep Space have spent more than twice what I have spent
just on their mount.
Their pictures can be a bit intimidating for middle level imagers like myself.

cheers
Allan