Old 01-02-2010, 11:20 PM
astrotours (Greg)

Gstar help

Hi,
I'm new to IIS and found it while looking for some live video feed help. JJJnettie and AlexN steered me in the right direction and I am trying out my new Gstar tonight. I've wheeled my big old 30 year old tv out in the wheelbarrow, plugged everything in and hooked up to a fork mount 8-inch celestron. I've got some pictures of M42 but they are pretty bad. I've adjusted the sense-up up and down the scale without much success and now the clouds are scudding through so I thought somebody might like to help me with some settings? I've put a 3.3 reducer in the lightpath and am having a bit of trouble getting good focus without sliding a few pieces apart. When the clouds scud through a bit more I'll ditch the reducer, stack up a couple of barlows and have a go at Mars. Am I on track with that thinking?

cheers

Greg
Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

You might like to play around with the other settings.
ALC and AGC
Try moving the sliders to the left a little or a bit more. It may fade the image a bit, but the overall quality will improve.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 AM
astrotours (Greg)

Getting better thanks. I'm learning how the buttons work now. I can just pick out the stars of the trapezeum although they are far from clear. I've got another scud of cloud blowing through now. Are the bright dots "hot pixels"? I've got about 6 that seem to be fixed.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:33 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Have you printed out the detailed manual yet? It's full of hand hints. When I first started using the camera I wrote down the recipe for the best settings for each object. It really helped.
Yes, hot pixels. You get that. It's par for the course with an uncooled camera.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 AM
astrotours (Greg)

What a good idea. That'll keep me busy. I think I'll head down to dick smith and get one of those swan cctvs tomorrow too.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Noooooo. You'll be paying over $100 for a little 5" black and white monitor. You can get a better deal than that.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
astrotours (Greg)

Hmmm, OK, there's not much choice here and I noticed that was what you are using and there is one on the shelf for $99. What do you recommend? LCD TV?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:40 PM
astrotours (Greg)

I'm looking at an Aiptek Pocket Cinema V10 too. it would suit my need for portability nicely. I need some practice to improve my picture in the next few days before going to Perth. I want to use the camera on a 10 day cruise I've got coming up at the end of Feb.

http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Aipte...projector.html
Old 02-02-2010, 02:06 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I was using my Gstar for imaging and the little cctv suited my purpose for portability.
For what you will be doing, the bigger the better!!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:51 AM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Hi Greg, do you have a laptop PC? If so you can get a relatively cheap viceo to USB capture device that will (with some free software) turn your laptop into a viewing and or capture setup. Another alternative which I also have is a portable LCD screen. I picked up something similar to here on eBay about a year ago.
cheers