Old 23-05-2010, 04:50 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Newtonian primary dew heater success

Some time ago I purchased a Kendrick primary mirror dew heater for my 10" Newt. I decided to get this after Astrofest last year when night after night I was suffering from heavy dewing of the primary that was ending my evening's imaging prematurely. At the time I tried the Newt's cooling fan and Houghy's hair dryer to no avail.

Last night I got to try the Kendrick heater properly and I'm pleased to report that it successfully kept the dew at bay and from what I can tell had little or no impact on imaging (judging by focus which I re-checked throughout the night).

I have a temperature sensor attached to the side of the primary and the heater kept the mirror about 7 degs C above ambient all night. I have recently purchased a Kendrick dew controller that has closed loop temperature control that I plan to fit to the primary allowing control of either fixed temperature, fixed delta above ambient or fixed delta above dew point. I've found the key to using this heater is to get the right amount of heat input then don't change it and the focus is then not impacted so fixed temperature is probably the way to go.

So if you are suffering from dew on the primary mirror have a look at this option.
Old 23-05-2010, 04:56 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Great news Peter. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action in.....73 days.
Old 23-05-2010, 07:22 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Good stuff mate! Glad your perseverance is paying off. Also sticking to your guns about heating your primary to keep the dew off. Obviously just keeping it a couple of degrees above ambient is sufficient to control the dew but not create any thermal currents.
Old 23-05-2010, 07:39 PM
allan gould

Good one Peter. You are getting together a very sophisticated setup and it shows in your photos.
Allan
Old 24-05-2010, 05:29 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Cheers guys. I'll be pulling the newt apart this week to install the Kendrick temperature probe. Soon it will be fully automatic!

Bring on Astrofest.