Old 22-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Prickly

Starshoot ccd

I notice the starshoot cooled 1/2 mono ccds are now selling for US300. Cant see what the local prices are from the website other than sirius optics.

I was thinking that if I were planning on importing this should come in under the A$1000 import limit before attracting tax. Im guess it might be possible to import it at around 500 all up.

Has anyone had experience with importing goods? Who would be a good US company to deal with? Apart from exchange, insurance and freight are there other additoinal costs to factor in or other pitfalls with customs (I live in Canberra).

I do generally prefer to deal locally by the way but $300 or so extra is a lot.

Thanks,
David
Old 22-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Astro78
Tripping in Space

I've bought from Optcorp.com and found them brilliant. Not all products can be shipped outside the US, depending on their agreements with the manufacturers.

Also bought a heap of stuff second through astromart.com and have not had any issues at all. Saved a tonne of cash too.

Wouldn't feel too bad about not buying locally. It's when there's a Australian manufactured product competing (and just as good) with your proposed OS purchase - then you might want to think otherwise. IMO
Old 22-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Prickly

Thanks Astro78,

Agree if there was an Aussie version it would certainly get the nod provided it was not too high in price.

However, cant see the 800 or so dollars for some of these cameras if they sell for 300 US.

I'll have to look into it further.

Cheers
David
Old 23-03-2009, 09:32 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Not sure whether OptCorp is Orion dealer or not but Orion doesn't like when their goods are bought from US dealer and sent outside US. I had this problem when I was trying to buy some Orion stuff from Amazon. They refused to ship it to AU. I had to ask my US friend to buy it for me using his address.
It's different for Vixen products. Optcorp sells them and ships worldwide.
Old 23-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Prickly

Thanks ozstockman,

I have since heard that from another source too. Pity really, I just lose interest when I cant see the value. There are always other options (eg mod DSLR) but $300 US converted + small amount for shipping looks reasonable.
The meade DSI II would be an option too but I prefer the idea of a cooled unit.

I still need to do some ringing around but suspect the local dealers may be somewhat higher.

Cheers
David
Old 24-03-2009, 08:55 AM
ozstockman (Mike)

no worries David.

there is no need to give up this idea as you can still buy it. There are some companies that can help in situations like this for a small fee. Recently I used one of them to buy one device from the only computer shop that was selling it. It was US shop and they refused to ship the device to AU address due to a dealer agreement with a manufacturer.
I didn't want to bother my US friend again and I found these guys http://www.priceusa.com.au/
They did their job as it was expected. It just took a week longer and made the total price a bit higher but finally I got this device.

cheers,

Mike
Old 24-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Prickly

Well, I might try the locals first. If its a big margin these guys might be an option.

Thanks again,
David