Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 21-02-2007, 08:59 PM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
That is one action-packed site! Nikola Tesla is one of my hero's.
Excellent site.
There is a recent movie called "The Prestige" in which Tesla is played by David Bowie! It stars (that qualifies now as an astronomy post ) Hugh Jackman and Michael Caine.

GeoffW1
Old 21-02-2007, 10:20 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Welcome Telsa, a great site you have there. I am sure you are in great demand for science fairs & the like !
Old 22-02-2007, 07:57 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Love your site Tesla. From someone who, at around age ten, used to like melting bolts by shorting out a 12V battery! Or steel wool shorted across the terminals gave a great fireworks display!

I found your site earlier, searching for information on green lasers. I finally bought one that just points out the stars and doesn't burn holes in straying birds!!
Old 25-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Tesladownunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaa_ian View Post
.... I am sure you are in great demand for science fairs & the like !
We don't really have science fairs here. A big problem with public demos is public liability insurance. Most just say no and the only quote I had was $1500 for 6 performances. The setups I have at Uni are covered by their insurance but still took a bit of correspondence to do.

Steel at high current makes great sparks. like with my 6V spotwelder

Best of all though is steel wool. If you pump 50kA through in a fraction of a millisecond. Add a bit of aluminium ignition, stand a few feet away and this is the picture you get.

TDU
Old 26-02-2007, 09:45 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hey TDU I loved your site, spent a long time looking at everything you have there ..Fantastic work and play all in one.. Congratulations ...and everyone I meet gets told about your version of a car alarm .
It saddens me to hear than a man with your talents and ability to influence career choices for kids gets the old insurance story. We have the cry go out we need more scientists what can we do..Well you on a National tour would see Universities turning would be scientists away because of the numbers you would create. When I was a kid in a small country town (Junee) we had some guys come by with a science show.. I was hooked and it was only the absence of Maths 1 and Maths 2 (a blunder by our school system I will never forgive) prevented me going into science as a career choice.
Dam lawyers with wining unreasonable claims for compensation (only ever thought about such litigation because of the pools of cash available in the insurance company’s bank) (why do you rob banks ..cause that’s where the money is kept.. )They have made it so hard for many to simplly follow the simplest of plans. My daughter can’t go to horse riding anymore because the lady running it could not meet the unreasonable demands regarding insurance. Geez if there were no insurance funds and we had to look after ourselves and take the hard knocks where would we be... in a world that lawyers drive VW's I guess .
all the best I salute your creativeness .
Alex
Old 03-03-2007, 04:47 AM
Tesladownunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Hey TDU I loved your site, spent a long time looking at everything you have there ...and everyone I meet gets told about your version of a car alarm .
It saddens me to hear than a man with your talents and ability to influence career choices for kids gets the old insurance story. We have the cry go out we need more scientists what can we do..Well you on a National tour would see Universities turning would be scientists away because of the numbers you would create. .... My daughter can’t go to horse riding anymore because the lady running it could not meet the unreasonable demands regarding insurance. ....Alex
In fact I believe I was being charged "pony club" rates. But the risk of injury including spinal and head injury is very significant in horse riding. I know because I have seen the results of them. I have even treated a chest injury in a friend who was an experienced rider. Tesla coils are noisy and not approachable when running so risks are small. Sadly 9/11 changed insurance and reinsurance costs everywhere.

I am not out to change the world of science education (today anyway) but certainly Tesla coils are dramatic science and really create an impression on young kids. They are a little frowned upon I think in science education but maybe that is because they do require expertise in high voltage so are not readily available.

Today I am hiring a car (I don't own one) and will try to complete the takes for a video of the "Tesladownunder's Car Theft Prevention" setup. I want to make a little humorous clip but this will be my first time using video editing software so results won't be Spielberg by any means. If it works though, it should be very popular on YouTube. Certainly the 50K hits to my site and perhaps 500K views from the hundreds of sites that have that picture shows it has a lot of appeal.

http://tesladownunder.com/Tesladownu...tion%20600.jpg
Old 03-03-2007, 06:14 AM
venus (Lydia)
AstroNan

Hi, is the car a 'Tesla'.........
Yeah I watch Catalyst