Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-11-2008, 06:39 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

eye relief ?

I've noticed recently since I bought a pentax xf that I'm finding the extra eye relief very comfortable ... I do where reading glasses(no agist) but have noticed over a while now that I could easily get used to whereing them when I observe.. mostly as my vision has dropped away that little bit more ... and bumping into things up close is a real pain ..is that a common experiance for others ?

cheers graham
Old 21-11-2008, 07:41 AM
kinetic (Steve)
ATMer and Saganist

Hi Graham,

A read through this post might answer some questions:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...838#post352838

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker View Post
I've noticed recently since I bought a pentax xf that I'm finding the extra eye relief very comfortable ... I do where reading glasses(no agist) but have noticed over a while now that I could easily get used to whereing them when I observe.. mostly as my vision has dropped away that little bit more ... and bumping into things up close is a real pain ..is that a common experiance for others ?

cheers graham
regards,
Steve
Old 22-11-2008, 06:39 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

good read thanks steve I don't need the glasses at the eyepiece
but everywhere else I sure do .. I ve been giving some thought to
replaceing a couple of medium power eyepieces with one with a bit longer eye relief... possibly a 14 mm xw .. cheers
Old 26-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Wavytone

I've had eyepieces with short eye relief before and was heartily sick of them. My first eyepieces with relatively long eye relief was long ago - an Edmund RKE set, particularly the longer focal lengths. After looking through a few Naglers and Panoptics over the years .. nice, but I can't really say I'm so committed as to shell out for them.

The consistent eye relief across the range was the main reason I bought Vixen LV and LVW's, even though I can observe fairly well without my specs.

The only downside of the LVW's I have is their weight - although the NLVW 30mm is surprisingly light.
Old 27-11-2008, 09:26 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

If you have no astigmitism and no real need for glasses while observing there is still a good case for them. I find it a pain to continually put my specs on to read and sketch then move them to observe.

Quickly getting into your camp and am considering some longer eyerelief lenses myself.
Old 27-11-2008, 10:20 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Well a member offered me a 14 mm xw at a good price so I went with it

Both the 13mm and 16 mm naglers are great eyepieces , if the 16 had a little more eye relief I'd never sell it 93 x seems just great.
Looking at robs argo recently sorted of decided me to observe with the specs on .. I can only see the screen when I'm standing quite a distance from it ..and I will get one sooner or later so it seemed to make a little sence to fix the eye relief issues with those two eyepieces .