Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2021, 07:04 AM
denodan (Dennis)

Got my red dot laser combination this morning

Got my laser and red dot finder combination this morning. It's a great solution to mount a laser and red dot together on your telescope, the ideal combination.

The specs on Ebay says the laser is 1mv, but quite surprised the instructions I got with the laser says 5mw.

We have the same import restrictions as Australia, but if it's on a gun mount, or sight the 1mw or less does not apply, so we can get around the law if the laser is mounted on a gun sight, or gun mount.

It's a very good combination, laser nice and bright and can be adjusted independently from the red dot laser itself, so once the laser is alighted will be so handy, not bending down, else if you prefer the red dot, or use a combination of both.

Just need clear weather to set it up now.

Come with battery and USB charger, which was extra
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20211207_083732_compress0.jpg)
152.6 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (20211207_083743_compress18.jpg)
141.3 KB20 views
Old 07-12-2021, 01:19 PM
toc (Tim)

I got a cheap green laser from ebay a while back that was marketed as 1mw, but the one I got appears to be massively more than that - (I am tempted to hand it in to the local police station actually) In Victoria I am certain I would get the boys in blue knocking on my door if I used it outside, so it sits in a draw ;-)
Old 07-12-2021, 01:34 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc View Post
I got a cheap green laser from ebay a while back that was marketed as 1mw, but the one I got appears to be massively more than that - (I am tempted to hand it in to the local police station actually) In Victoria I am certain I would get the boys in blue knocking on my door if I used it outside, so it sits in a draw ;-)
I'd be careful Tim, see my post in the other thread about cheap green lasers mate.

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...20&postcount=4

Old 07-12-2021, 01:36 PM
denodan (Dennis)

You cannot restrict laser power, many in the US, while you cannot import powerful lasers there, they are being made and sold. They are so easy to make, it's impossible to really police it. I myself have a 1.2 watt blue laser and while it's not illegal yet to own one, you cannot import one over 1mw, unless its on a gun mount.

Our rules follow yours.

But in the usa it's not illegal to own a high powered one, just cannot import them, nothing stopping you making and selling term internally
Old 07-12-2021, 01:37 PM
denodan (Dennis)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc View Post

Use it on your scope as a laser finder, just make sure not aircraft are around
Old 07-12-2021, 01:43 PM
RB (Andrew)

*WARNING*

Just a warning to anyone reading this thread.
Lasers are extremely dangerous at higher power ratings than 5mW, especially since they are most certainly above the stated rating on the sticker.

Human eye reflex is not fast enough to react to an accidental reflection of the beam and damage can occur without the person realising it at the time.

*WARNING*
Old 07-12-2021, 04:33 PM
toc (Tim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
*WARNING*

Just a warning to anyone reading this thread.
Lasers are extremely dangerous at higher power ratings than 5mW, especially since they are most certainly above the stated rating on the sticker.

Human eye reflex is not fast enough to react to an accidental reflection of the beam and damage can occur without the person realising it at the time.

*WARNING*
Absolutely - I wouldn't want the ebay green one anywhere near an eye. Might make a cool home defense item, but I would probably get in trouble for that as well Anyway wildly off topic.