Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 12-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Hagar (Doug)

Guiding problems with PHD, QGuider and StarryNight Pro.

I seem to be having some problems with PHD just stopping guiding, well at least with the guide camera appearing to stop collecting images. The screen goes blank, the LED on the QGuider stays illuminated continuously,the message line on PHD says Star Lost.

It appears the QGuider just stops capturing images. It also seems evident that this problem happenes a lot more when I run Starry night pro at the same time. The guider will almost always capture for about 10 minutes then stop capturing. PHD appears to be not responding also.

Has any one else suffered this problem and if so were you able to find a remedy?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:35 PM
desler

Doug,

Strangely, Yes, happened to me the last imaging session. For the life of me, couldn't figure what I'd done wrong!

I didn't post because I figured it was just me doing something wrong, but I got the lost star message twice and had to restart PHD.

Never happened with the Toucam, wondering whether I need to set different values in the brain section for use with the QHY5?

I'll be very interested to see the replies.....

Darren
Old 12-12-2009, 05:13 PM
ejcruz (Eddie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I seem to be having some problems with PHD just stopping guiding, well at least with the guide camera appearing to stop collecting images. The screen goes blank, the LED on the QGuider stays illuminated continuously,the message line on PHD says Star Lost.

It appears the QGuider just stops capturing images. It also seems evident that this problem happenes a lot more when I run Starry night pro at the same time. The guider will almost always capture for about 10 minutes then stop capturing. PHD appears to be not responding also.

Has any one else suffered this problem and if so were you able to find a remedy?
This maybe the same issue I came across some months back, and it still happens every now and again but not so frequently, tracked it down to my USB ports being flooded, I'm using a Toshiba laptop model Satellite PSLB0A which has 3 USB ports and it appears they are all running of the same USB controller, Microsoft came out with a fix some months back which has sort of fixed the issue - I'm running Vista Home Premium. I found this out by running PHD on a separate laptop. Another way to prove this is to run PHD and your capture software on the same laptop and while you guide and capture an image connect a USB memory stick and download some files, you should see PHD loose connection to the guide camera. Note PC desktops usually have 2 USB controllers where as most laptop only have 1.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Eddie
Old 12-12-2009, 05:23 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Yep, get that alot too.
Then phd will crash.
Might be time to download a fresh version???
Old 12-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Thanks Eddie, I never thought of that as the problem but it is probably correct. I run Robofocus, ascom Gemini driver and QHY5/PHD all off the same Hub. I might split it up a bit and see what happens. It is all run off a desktop PC with a separate USB2 PCI card.
Looks like I now have another computer problem to overcome first. Looks like the power supply might be dead or at least dying.

I hate computers.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:58 PM
leon

Doug I too lost PhD some time ago, but i was using the Orion Starshoot Guider, It just stopped playing, was not able to come to and reason why, as it had performed perfectly for so long.

I rebalanced and pulled plugs here and there, and it seems to have come back for now, to this day I don't know what had happened.

Leon
Old 13-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Gama

You should run the guider on its own. If you have a few devices all off the same hub, then it will load down. The guiders run power from the USB, and if the voltage drops a little, it will lock, as the CMOS sensor is very tight on voltage. Try and use a single port from the PC to the guider. Some people use powered hubs, and i hear mixed results. I suppose it depends on how it maintains its devices thru the hub.

Theo
Old 13-12-2009, 01:07 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Yeah sounds like it may be a power issue. My guider QHY5/USB disconnects everytime I get a static discharge by just touching the mount tripod or focuser knob on very dry nights. It's very sensitive.
Old 20-12-2009, 03:21 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Hmm i run a QHY5 guider, did run an Canon 40D, run the mount and have the reciever for the gamepad all from the powered hub and that goes with a 5 Mtr powered usb cable to an old toshiba lappy and it runs smooth as.

I am using a Swan platinum usb hub on the mount.