Old 13-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Starrymessenger (Ste)

NEQ6 Belt Conversion

Have just completed converting my NEQ6 using the Rowan Astronomy Belt Conversion kit. Instructions were clear, and having the mount attached to my pier in the observatory made it easier.
Took the opportunity to clean and re-grease bearings with high quality lithium grease, however, I did muck something up.
When I re-assembled everything, the RA axis was constantly binding, no matter how much or how little backlash there was. After sleeping on the problem, I decided I may have the belt tensioned too much so next day I reset the tension on the RA belt to NO avail!
I then thought I'd check all the bearings and areas I placed lithium grease so disassembled again, without touching the Dec axis(which was working fine).

When I took the RA structure out of the main body, I noticed that the large brass clutch assembly with the worm gear ring that spins freely when the lock is lose, was completely coated with lithium grease, and I postulated that this was what was causing so much drag on the system.
After wiping it all clean, wiping with WD40, and applying a thin layer of light oil, the RA axis slid back into place and when everything was tightened, I powered up again.
JOY! No binding, free motor movement and no backlash!
Nice to have the time to do it all, and a reminder to take a break and allow the brain to work by itself when you've been working for a long time and getting frustrated!!
In retrospect, the grease on the brass structure may not have caused the drag but the dismantling and cleaning off of excess grease certainly fixed the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2060.jpg)
191.8 KB46 views

Last edited by Starrymessenger; 13-02-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Afterthough
Old 13-02-2017, 11:25 AM
glend (Glen)

Yes Steve the tolerances between the body and the ring gear drum are pretty tight. You should not grease it other than on bearing surfaces. Also the clutch brass locking pad bears on that drum surface, and it needs to be very clean there or clutch locking can slip. The locking pads have also been known to fall out of place in their recess on disassembly or reassembly and this can cause binding.
Not all the castings are the same, sometimes the belts can rub against flashings on the cast body. I had to machine off a little aluminium from the motor drive opening area to give the belts a clear non-dragging path. Watch the clearance of the worm sprocket as well and check the the worm sprocket and drive sprocket are vetically aligned, adjusting the worm sprocket on the shaft, or the end bearings may be necessary.
Old 14-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Starrymessenger (Ste)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
.Not all the castings are the same, sometimes the belts can rub against flashings on the cast body. I had to machine off a little aluminium from the motor drive opening area to give the belts a clear non-dragging path. Watch the clearance of the worm sprocket as well and check the the worm sprocket and drive sprocket are vetically aligned, adjusting the worm sprocket on the shaft, or the end bearings may be necessary.
Yes Glen, that was the other thing I checked. I thought the toothed wheel may have been rubbing on the casing, when I lossened everything and re-located it and tightened everything up, there was no sideways movement, and the clearance was a little over 1mm. I think the RA axis moves more freely than it ever has, and locks well!

Oh yes, and it's VERY quiet compared to before

Just need a clear night to check alignment and goto functions now

Last edited by Starrymessenger; 14-02-2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 14-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Starrymessenger (Ste)

! Cables !

With everything now working, just wrangling cables for power, dew heaters, handset, control, cameras (3) filter wheel, USB hubs... catering a Mac and a PC so two lots of data!!!