Old 18-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Karls48 (Karl)

Pentax K100D Super

Well, I finally got myself DSLR camera. It is Pentax K100D Super. I know that this is Canon camp but I could afford this camera now, so I made my mind and got it. I also got assortment of lenses that will fit it and that influenced my decision. I have seen some very nice images on this website, so hopefully I will be able to use it for astro imagining. So far I’m happy with it for daytime pictures but I got couple questions about its use for astronomy. I’m waiting for remote shutter control thing and T adaptor to arrive, so it will be some time before I can try it with telescope.
Firstly, I can not get Pentax Remote Assistant working with this camera. Yet on the web some people claim that is work with K100D. Anyone got it working?

And also, is there any advantage in getting right angle viewfinder adaptor? Does it makes focusing on astronomy object easier?
Thanks for any input; even if you tell me that I should have bought Canon.
Old 19-02-2008, 08:33 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

good luck with the pentax, I have used the older model & I like them - they ar easy to use. You need to adjust the setting to be able to use a bulb - though I forget which menu you need to use, I think there is a bulb mode in exposure time settings.
Old 19-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Aprid

Which version of Remote Assistant are you using? I have had version 1 working with a a K100d Super under XP very limited 30sec exposures only (won't run under Vista)there is a later version but that's only for the k10d, a better bet I believe would be to look at the "Aputure" remote found on Ebay, gives more control over exposure settings than remote assistant.
Old 19-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Karls48 (Karl)

I tried version 3 first, it did not work so I uninstall it and tried version 1. Still no luck, all menus are greyed out. But never mind, the timer remote control will solve that. Pity, I have already ordered plain remote control. Thanks for info.
Old 20-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Karls48 (Karl)

Does this kind of gizmo make focusing on star any easier? Or does the magnification make image too dim to focus? Is anyone using it.?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Angl finder.jpg)
25.9 KB15 views
Old 20-02-2008, 08:29 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls48 View Post
Does this kind of gizmo make focusing on star any easier? Or does the magnification make image too dim to focus? Is anyone using it.?
I use one and love it.
Even though I've got Live Focus, I still find it v.helpful to use the Angle Finder as well.
It also gives you more flexibility when the scope is at awkward angles.
Old 20-02-2008, 09:53 AM
robin
Brave Sir Robin

The Pentax k100D is a highly competant camera & has had some very good reviews on various photography forums