Old 06-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Entropy

How to choose the right camera for a scope

How does one go about choosing an appropriate camera for a particular scope ?
I have downloaded CCD Calculator, but i do not know what type of bandwidths i should keep things like Image Scale in between.
What is considered to high a arcsecond/pixel value ? And can you go too low ? is there a sweet spot ?
Will a good 'nebula' camera also be good at planetary imaging ?
Im mainly after a camera for DSO images, but would also like to take the occasional photo of jupiter/saturn ?
Im looking at buying a lx200ACF 10". And was tentatively tossing up between a QHY8, SBIG ST-7 or a canon 40d.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:55 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

There aren't many cameras you could use to image Jupiter/Saturn that would also double as a DSO imager... In fact, I know of none (appart from a long exposure modified webcam, but even then, if you're looking at an LX200 10" A LX webcam is a pretty measily toy to be hanging off the back...

For Deep sky imaging, you cant go past a dedicated CCD.. The 40D is a stupendiously good camera, but for astro-photography, having it modified is nearly a pre-requisite, as the standard IR blocking filter is fairly heavy handed, and blocks alot of very useful wavelengths... Don't take that the wrong way, There are of course, many many people taking excelent deep space images with DSLR's. But most of them (I imagine), given the choice, would jump to something like the QHY8 or ST-7 in a heart beat.

If I had the choice between those two specific cameras, It would be a hard decision... The extra resolution of the QHY8 makes it jump out as a good option, however it being One Shot Color (OSC) would likely make it alot less sensitive, requireing longer exposures, putting more emphisis on a having a good mount capable of tracking for long exposures. The ST-7 (depending on which model ST-7) has dual sensor.. making it self guided, removing the need for a dual scope setup with yet another camera for auto-guiding...

I would probably go with the QHY8 all things being equal... but mainly because I love the images they produce....

Hope this has helped a little...
Old 07-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Entropy

Thank you, it has helped. Looking at all the photos out there, i do prefer the images produced by the QHY8.
Is there a way to quanitfy this decission a bit more though ?
For example is 0.63arcseonds/pixel good ?
Does lower always mean better ?
What is a good number to reach ?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:12 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Sorry but I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer those questions...

I would say however, that the lower the arc seconds per pixel, the higher the over all resolving power will be, hence better. I dont think you could get to a point where lower would become "worse"... more like - you would reach a point of diminishing returns, where as getting a lower arc sec/pixel rating will cost you $x more, but only give a tiny/no improvement.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Ian Robinson

I disagree , modding your DSLR is unnecessary , apart from rejecting light pollution by a dropin filter (like Hutech) or 2" UHC or DSF prior to the coma corrector field flattener.

You can also do high power eyepiece project with the right kit for your DSLR, pick an appropriate ISO setting and exposure.

But what do I know - I'm a dinosaur who learnt the craft with a old film SLR before CCDs and digital imaging were options....
Old 07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Sharnbrook (Mike)

Gerald Sargent has a QHY8 for sale right now, that he was using at Astrofest, and he was singing its praises when I was speaking to him. He believes that it is the best value for money around of its type. The camera is for sale in the Cameras and Imaging Equpmt section. Have a look. He lives in Brisbane's western suburbs, and would I imagine, be able to show you some results.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 PM
JohnH
Member # 159

Check this site:

http://www.starrywonders.com/ccdcame...derations.html

It will answer a lot of your questions. And there are some newer cameras that can do both DSO and planetary work quite well, indeed Meade would claim that for their DSI III.