Old 12-05-2021, 03:52 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Sh2-9

Sh2-9, also called Gum 65 by itself is a rarely imaged combination emission and reflection nebula in the Scorpius constellation, surrounding the multiple star system Sigma Scorpii. The nebula is northeast of the globular cluster, Messier 4, included here for context.

Always a tricky challenge to image this under my suburban Bortle 6/7 skies, I'm quite pleased with the outcome as I used a few of Marcus' tips including shooting a few hrs of LUM. The complimentary colours of cool Al-Niyat and warm M4 seem to balance one another nicely and the star definition in M4 itself is remarkable.

At long last, the big Tak has it's spacing perfect now, so I finally have round stars in all four corners.
Astrobin Version

I've ordered a new TOA-35 reducer to give me a wider FOV, so when that arrives, I'll be able to frame some of these larger objects with a bit more "space" to allow more breathing room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SH2-9-HaLRGB_iis.jpg)
176.1 KB147 views
Old 12-05-2021, 04:06 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Very nice work from suburbia there Andy, easier than travelling out to a dark sky (..not as much fun though ). Composition probably does look a little bit tight so the reducer would'a fixed that here but still, a cool pairing, M4 looks very..?..M4'ish , well done, an enjoyable image

Mike
Old 12-05-2021, 04:47 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Very nice work from suburbia there Andy, easier than travelling out to a dark sky (..not as much fun though

M4 looks very..?..M4'ish , well done, an enjoyable image

Mike
Thanks Mike, sadly both my last two trips to dark skies were clouded/rained out, so not as much fun as I hoped! (Aside from the
However, until a remote obsy one day presents itself, I remain a long standing member of the suburban LP imaging club!
Old 12-05-2021, 05:07 PM
RichardJ (Richard)
Psalm 19: 1 - 4

Beautiful image Andy.
I also belong to that club.😉

RichardJ
Old 13-05-2021, 04:14 AM
PKay (Peter)

Looking at a wider field GUM 65, it reveals in the shape of a heart.

I guess adding Ha to the red channel helps to increase detail and add depth, as would the Lum?

Noice work Andy
Old 13-05-2021, 06:39 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

It's a powerful and highly contrasting combination of objects and features Andy. Looking at the Astrobin version is a treat. What FL will the new reducer give you? And also intrigued as to the benefit of and how you used the Lum?
Old 13-05-2021, 07:23 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Well done Andy. I can see that a lot of thought has gone into the composition and layout of the field. The Gum and Sharpless catalogues do make for a great shopping list of objects.
Old 13-05-2021, 08:20 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That cluster is very nice. You can see the central bar of stars. Nicely resolved.
Old 13-05-2021, 10:45 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Very nice Andy tried to image this combination as well, but a DSLR does not cut it. Still, I may try again. Maybe need to filter mod my camera.
Old 13-05-2021, 11:29 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

All hail the natural colour palette!!

Lovely image Andy! The composition is perfect! The Force is with you!
Old 13-05-2021, 01:27 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Beautiful image Andy.
I also belong to that club.��

RichardJ
Thanks Richard, it's by no means exclusive! Makes processing interesting though that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Looking at a wider field GUM 65, it reveals in the shape of a heart.

I guess adding Ha to the red channel helps to increase detail and add depth, as would the Lum?

Noice work Andy
Thanks Peter, Yes indeed - Ha reveals detail and gases present that would be otherwise near invisible, and the Lum helps smooths out the noise and picks up more of the fine dusty stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
It's a powerful and highly contrasting combination of objects and features Andy. Looking at the Astrobin version is a treat. What FL will the new reducer give you? And also intrigued as to the benefit of and how you used the Lum?
Cheers Robert, the new reducer will be f5.4 @ 700mmFL. Lum helps me a lot when shooting under LP - seems to smooth out the noise, boost the overall signal and pick up feint dust. I shoot lots of short subs and then deal with the gradients in post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Well done Andy. I can see that a lot of thought has gone into the composition and layout of the field. The Gum and Sharpless catalogues do make for a great shopping list of objects.
Thanks Rodney - as you know, I'm always on the lookout for something new or overlooked. I recall seeing a post of this field a while back, guess it lodged in my memory bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That cluster is very nice. You can see the central bar of stars. Nicely resolved.
Thanks Marc, I was mindful of focusing very carefully, and dumped out any imperfect subs - that said, I'm a tad surprised and delighted with the resolution shown here, nice to finally have the Tak sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
Very nice Andy tried to image this combination as well, but a DSLR does not cut it. Still, I may try again. Maybe need to filter mod my camera.
Cheers Malcolm, There are many Ha rich regions in this area of space, and a camera mod will certainly help you show them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
All hail the natural colour palette!!

Lovely image Andy! The composition is perfect! The Force is with you!
Many thanks Sensei Marcus! I was thinking of you and some of the tips you gave me previously when processing this one.
Old 13-05-2021, 02:17 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post

Thanks Rodney - as you know, I'm always on the lookout for something new or overlooked. I recall seeing a post of this field a while back, guess it lodged in my memory bank.
That'd be this one by Big Kev. I wanted to have a shot myself but I felt the SXVH694/AG12 field was juuust a bit too small for a good composition...

Mike
Old 13-05-2021, 04:02 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
That'd be this one by Big Kev. I wanted to have a shot myself but I felt the SXVH694/AG12 field was juuust a bit too small for a good composition...

Mike
Yep, that's the one - cheers Kev for the inspiration!
Old 13-05-2021, 04:23 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Lovely looking field Andy. And great work to snare a natural palette image from lightpollutionsville. A great pity the sky just would not behave here at Kilmore last time around.
Old 13-05-2021, 09:06 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Lovely looking field Andy. And great work to snare a natural palette image from lightpollutionsville. A great pity the sky just would not behave here at Kilmore last time around.
Well As the great Captain Peter Janson said, “sometimes you’re the rooster & other times the feather duster”, such as it is with the weather for trips under dark skies. But as always, we try, try again because it’s just so nice to get that view without LP!
Old 15-05-2021, 02:11 PM
matlud (Mathew)

Great image Andy especially from Bortle 6/7 . Interesting that the Ha emission is a more intense rim on the upper left 🤔
Old 15-05-2021, 05:00 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Cheers Matthew, appreciate the kind words.

As an astrophotographer, (but not an astrophysicist) - I could suggest that perhaps Mike Berthon-Jones (Placidus) or Colin (Atmos) could add some scientific context to the Ha content present.

Cheers

Andy