Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 23-12-2013, 10:35 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Ok Peter4059 and Bram scored a PCB each, 1st in 1st served, sorry Andrew!

Martian has the full assy but if you other 2 folks give me a little time I'll investigate getting some more DIN & USB sockets for the PCB and see if I can make them up for you.

What happened is I contacted Dave to see if I can get a Sharpsky kit, they were all gone but he sent me a programmed PIC and I reversed engineered his PCB and sent this to a PCB fab house. The PCB fab house makes QTY4 min and I only wanted one so 3 are extraneous to my needs and would otherwise be wasted.

However, I only ordered enough main parts for qty 2 ( I always order min 2 of each) so I don't have a full list of parts for the other 2PCBs but I'll see if I can get them and make them up as well...minus the PIC of course.

I've PM'd the winners and will post back soon. Many many thanks to Dave on all this, he's a champ!

Brendan

Edit:
ok just ordering the last parts for Peter and Bram, still need to order gray encoder and case will do that soon. Ordered 3 mini PIN sockets from fleabay, from a place I ordered before, they will get here soon but post is real hectic atm. Didn't want to order these from HK...had issues with that before.

So I'll do up Martians and for Peter and Bram...I'm collecting last parts and will have them done...hopefully soon.

Merry Xmas everyone!

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 23-12-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 23-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

No worries Dave and Brendan, have to wait for the new scope anyway (fingers crossed in January when they become available)

Merry Xmas to you also Brendan.
Old 23-12-2013, 01:45 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Thanks Brendan - that is very generous of you. No rush - the summer clouds are setting in fast up here!

Merry Christmas.

Peter
Old 23-12-2013, 02:20 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hi Peter many thanks, I have most parts I am scrounging thru my gear finding all sorts of things.

Martins is all finished bar the DC jack choice; encoder & temp sensor leads/case.
Old 23-12-2013, 02:57 PM
torsion (Bram)

Hey Brendan, just PMed you. Thank you (and Dave) for your generosity.

Also, no rush plenty of other project going

cheers,
Bram
Old 23-12-2013, 08:01 PM
dtrewren (Dave)
Above the equator ...

Hello all,

I have ordered up the required PICs so will program up and get them off on return from holiday.

Brendan .... if there are any bits you are missing let me know and I will pop them in the post. I have loads of the connectors up here top side as I use them on the SharpSky Pro gear and so buy in bulk.

Have a great Xmas everyone

Clear skies,

Dave
Old 23-12-2013, 09:07 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Thanks Dave I'm good atm. I just need to get some gray encoders. I'll do that tomorrow.

Brendan
Old 24-12-2013, 03:21 AM
dtrewren (Dave)
Above the equator ...

No worries Brendan,

Anything you can't get just give me a shout.

Clear skies,

Dave
Old 27-12-2013, 06:30 PM
torsion (Bram)

Hi Brendan,

What temperature sensors are used in SharpSky? There is one on the stepper (or connections within the 9-pin motor lead), and there is a possible separate one.

Can the second one be readout, but not used for focus temp compensation?

This is maybe more a question for Dave, instead.

Thanks,
cheers,
Bram
Old 27-12-2013, 09:09 PM
torsion (Bram)

Also, what is the power requirement? How many amp does it needs? I guess that depends on the stepper, but is there a maximum? (the manual doesn't mention it )

I am trying to combine my power needs in a more convenient configuration, rather then having numerous mains cables and converts scattered around.

thanks,
Bram
Old 28-12-2013, 01:22 AM
dtrewren (Dave)
Above the equator ...

Hi Bram,

I will answer your questions no problem :

The kit version of SharpSky only supports one temperature sensor. The sensor can be plugged directly into the PCB using a three pin mini-din or can be wired to the D-type connector. However, as I say only one sensor can be fitted the firmware will detect only one probe (the SharpSky Pro unit supports two separate independent sensors).

The sensor is a DS18B20 three wire type, the wiring instructions can be found on the SharpSky kit website : www.dt-space.co.uk/SharpSky_Kit

The build instruction PDF can be downloaded from the website and sections 11 & 12 detail the temperature probe connections.

Power wise the unit will not exceed 1A at 12V even if the motor is stalled.

Cheers & clear skies,

Dave

---------------------
SharpSky Innovations
Old 28-12-2013, 10:21 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Bam, I have a sealed DS18B20 sensor for you.

I was going to make them up to the 3pin DIN but if you want I can just send so you it to wire thru the motor DB9 and place as you wish. Or I can just give you a std non insulated DS18B20.

I have your PCBs all but made, just waiting for the gray encoder, DIN PCB sockets and few other small things.

I spoke you you about DC jack, aka you requested 2.1mm but I have not yet put that on so you can change your mind still!

Powering all devices is a real pain, I made a small distribution DC/USB hub so I can power multiple devices (and DSLR with +8V) and have a 4 port USB hub all in one. Things like this are invaluable to users and many users make their own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Untitled-1-small.jpg)
183.7 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1229-small.jpg)
102.8 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1258-small.jpg)
91.6 KB31 views
Old 28-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post

I was going to make them up to the 3pin DIN but if you want I can just send so you it to wire thru the motor DB9 and place as you wish. Or I can just give you a std non insulated DS18B20.

I have your PCBs all but made, just waiting for the gray encoder, DIN PCB sockets and few other small things.

I spoke you you about DC jack, aka you requested 2.1mm but I have not yet put that on so you can change your mind still!

Powering all devices is a real pain, I made a small distribution DC/USB hub so I can power multiple devices (and DSLR with +8V) and have a 4 port USB hub all in one. Things like this are invaluable to users and many users make their own.

Like that board, was it your own design or a bunch of commercial bits thrown together?
Old 28-12-2013, 11:54 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hi Andrew

just made my own except for the USB hub. I went down the route of doing my own hub but it was a real pain (although some tech/design docs are available on the net from USB hub IC designers), so I just grabbed a cheapie HUB and used a small TI +5V switchmode to power it. Aka it's a powered hub capable of 500mA per channel, via a rev polarity FET so Vbus would not back feed.

Same with +8V DSLR supply. The rest is just +12V distribution and ensuring centre pin size commonality for devices. Haven't we all faced this issue...2.1mm/2.5mm! I don't know how often I've been caught on this so I went on a quest to make all my DC pins sizes common.

I wanted it in a small package to fit between the dovetails. Works a treat can run USB/RS232 converter, DSLR USB, Autoguider USB; focuser USB... etc all at once.

But hey that's what hubs do....now need more ports!
Old 28-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Quote:
Hi Andrew

just made my own except for the USB hub. I went down the route of doing my own hub but it was a real pain (although some tech/design docs are available on the net from USB hub IC designers), so I just grabbed a cheapie HUB and used a small TI +5V switchmode to power it. Aka it's a powered hub capable of 500mA per channel, via a rev polarity FET so Vbus would not back feed.

Same with +8V DSLR supply. The rest is just +12V distribution and ensuring centre pin size commonality for devices. Haven't we all faced this issue...2.1mm/2.5mm! I don't know how often I've been caught on this so I went on a quest to make all my DC pins sizes common.

I wanted it in a small package to fit between the dovetails. Works a treat can run USB/RS232 converter, DSLR USB, Autoguider USB; focuser USB... etc all at once.

But hey that's what hubs do....now need more ports!
Thanks Brendan for the info, got me thinking now Yes the 2.1/2.5mm plugs, boy what a pain..
Old 28-12-2013, 02:01 PM
alistairsam

shucks, missed out on this.

Brendan, I normally etch my own PCB's and have two spare boards with ammonium persulphate and toner transfer sheets. are you able to provide the pcb file if possible? I use designspark.
I'll check with Dave if I can buy a programmed PIC off him.
I do have a mclennan geared stepper as well.
I like that power and usb box of yours. nice work.

Cheers
Alistair
Old 28-12-2013, 02:45 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hi Alistair, I don't see a problem sending the PCB files.....all the knowledge is in the firmware that is Dave's proprietary software.

If he will sell you a PIC I'll send you the files, but sorry in eagle PCB format but it's a damn small PCB and needs 2 layers and vias. If you use my design layout then I can give you the 2 commoned SIL resistor packs I used.

If I had the cash I'd be buying Daves Pro kit myself, but alas I have many other hands being outstretched at the moment!
Old 28-12-2013, 04:03 PM
mill (Martin)
sword collector

Quote:
If I had the cash I'd be buying Daves Pro kit myself, but alas I have many other hands being outstretched at the moment!
Hmm let me guess, Wife and kids????

Anyone who wants very reliable connectors should buy these: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...SUBCATID=990#1
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...SUBCATID=990#1
They never come loose

I am not affiliated with this business in any way.
Old 28-12-2013, 04:33 PM
torsion (Bram)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrewren View Post
Hi Bram,

I will answer your questions no problem :

The kit version of SharpSky only supports one temperature sensor. The sensor can be plugged directly into the PCB using a three pin mini-din or can be wired to the D-type connector. However, as I say only one sensor can be fitted the firmware will detect only one probe (the SharpSky Pro unit supports two separate independent sensors).

The sensor is a DS18B20 three wire type, the wiring instructions can be found on the SharpSky kit website : www.dt-space.co.uk/SharpSky_Kit

The build instruction PDF can be downloaded from the website and sections 11 & 12 detail the temperature probe connections.

Power wise the unit will not exceed 1A at 12V even if the motor is stalled.
Hi Dave,

Thank you. One temp sensor will be exquisite, I was just thinking of using the second one to record my newly fabricated DSLR cooler box.

Re: power, 1A sound fine.

Does the PIC recognise where the sensor is plugged into? Or is that a software option? (just skimmed through the manual).

Quote:

Hi Brendan,

Maybe sent the sealed temp sensor separate, thank you. I will most likely wire it through the D-type connector. Just wondering were to place the sensor for most effective focus temp compensation.

I like your USB/power hub, very nice.

Stick with the 2.1mm power plug, please (although I haven't made any head way with my power distribution). My latest idea is to have stereo sockets in be power box, and then the various leads with the stereo plug on one end and 2.1mm and 2.5mm (and 1mm? on the camera) plugs for the devices.

I have a few DC-DC converters (http://dx.com/p/lm2596-dc-dc-adjusta...e-green-227553), which will be powered by a 12V source. They will be tuned to 8V (camera) and 5V (usb hub), and I will have a few 12V straight through. I've never managed to reliably get my guide camera (QHY5L-ii, video mode) to work through the usb hub, so I am running a second usb cable. Come to think of it, with the focuser it will become a cable paradise ... maybe need to rethink again

Would the SharpSky play nice through a USB hub?

thanks,
Bram
Old 28-12-2013, 04:38 PM
torsion (Bram)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
Anyone who wants very reliable connectors should buy these: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...SUBCATID=990#1
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...SUBCATID=990#1
They never come loose
Ah thanks. I was in jaycar the other day and didn't see them. Will have another look.
Bram