Old 04-08-2021, 09:26 AM
EvolutionaryPS (Paul)

Auto align with restricted view

Hi I'm considering getting a telescope and was thinking a Goto scope with tracking would be great my concern is I only have limited sky views at home and am concerned that the scope won't be able to auto align. Is this an issue?
Old 04-08-2021, 10:39 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionaryPS View Post
Hi I'm considering getting a telescope and was thinking a Goto scope with tracking would be great my concern is I only have limited sky views at home and am concerned that the scope won't be able to auto align. Is this an issue?
Paul,
My previous recommendation for a visual scope ( Skywatcher 130mm Virtuoso) is a Goto scope and only requires 2 stars about 50deg apart in the night sky to align, plus it has dual encoders so it remembers its alignment data and location in the night sky too. That’s why I suggested it due to your restricted field of view and viewing location upstairs on a balcony ( portability)
I believe Skywatcher do a 150mm Virtuoso version as well which at that aperture has more light gathering power
If your now talking about a Goto for Visual and AP then there are plenty of options with portability in mind
All depends if going to image from home or image from remote darker locations or both that determines how bothered you are to assemble and disassemble an AP rig. AP rigs start from a simple DSLR and Star tracker to mid range to bigger beasts , whatever can fit in your car ??
Cheers
Martin
Old 04-08-2021, 11:36 AM
EvolutionaryPS (Paul)

Thanks Martin!
Old 05-08-2021, 10:32 AM
Wilsil (Wilco)

With auto align, do you mean Polar Alignment?
With the new NINA, it doesn't matter if you can't see the SCP (South Celestial Pole). You point the scope and camera to a point in the sky you can see and it will do a 3 point alignment.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:06 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsil View Post
With auto align, do you mean Polar Alignment?
With the new NINA, it doesn't matter if you can't see the SCP (South Celestial Pole). You point the scope and camera to a point in the sky you can see and it will do a 3 point alignment.
The Skywatcher 150mm Virtuoso that Paul is renting is an AZ mount mini table top dob which just needs a 2 star alignment , it has dual encoders
Doesn’t need to be EQ polar aligned

Cheers
Martin