Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 17-06-2013, 07:34 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

This is not only a great image, but the write up detail is excellent reading as well.

Impressive work.
Old 13-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Galaxygazer
Christian Sasse

Hi Rolf,

This is not only an AMAZING piece of work, it is also a beautiful piece of Science and Art. Well done!

Just a word of caution when talking about the faintest object - this is really difficult to assess as the word "faint" has to be associated with a well calibrated magnitude. Paul Boltwood, Ken Crawford and myself have done imaging of 10 hours and more, I hold the record for the most distant quasar imaged with an amateur telescope. When I declared a 27 magnitude galaxy I was cautioned by a professional astronomer due to above mentioned reason, and he is right. So the word "faintest" is a very difficult term.

I really applaud your effort and great result.

Christian Sasse
Old 14-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Elio

As above, again...

Old 30-07-2013, 09:33 AM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
This is not only a great image, but the write up detail is excellent reading as well.

Impressive work.
Thanks very much Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxygazer View Post
Hi Rolf,

This is not only an AMAZING piece of work, it is also a beautiful piece of Science and Art. Well done!

Just a word of caution when talking about the faintest object - this is really difficult to assess as the word "faint" has to be associated with a well calibrated magnitude. Paul Boltwood, Ken Crawford and myself have done imaging of 10 hours and more, I hold the record for the most distant quasar imaged with an amateur telescope. When I declared a 27 magnitude galaxy I was cautioned by a professional astronomer due to above mentioned reason, and he is right. So the word "faintest" is a very difficult term.

I really applaud your effort and great result.

Christian Sasse
Thank you Christian, your quasar image has certainly been one of my inspirations to push the boundaries. Yes as I mentioned in some of the earlier comments, it's very difficult to establish what is the 'faintest'. It all depends on reference catalogue data and filters etc, as you say it really cones down to proper calibration. And then there are also things like faint IFN glow and galaxy shells etc. which have exteremely low surface brightness, all of it still visible in our images but having surface magnitudes way below that of the point sources - I'm not sure how to best measure that.
It's truly fascinating to think how deep and far we as amateurs can reach out into the Universe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio View Post
As above, again...

Thank you Elio!