Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Old 19-08-2021, 05:19 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Marc

I enjoyed watching those animations, #2 in particular was excellent for the conditions.

You still managed to resolve details on the satellites of Jupiter which is quite an achievement given the seeing conditions you endured.

I think the extra 6.6 sq cms aperture area of the 212 over the 210 really helped.

A lot of hard work, both outdoors and indoors, but it has given you a good record of this rare event.

Cheers

Dennis
hmmmm.... looks like I reversed the animation and the times are all wrong. I have to check stellarium see what I did. My timestamps must be wrong on my lappie again.
Old 19-08-2021, 05:25 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
hmmmm.... looks like I reversed the animation and the times are all wrong. I have to check stellarium see what I did. My timestamps must be wrong on my lappie again.
Hah, I was too enthralled watching to notice anything.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 19-08-2021, 05:43 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

[QUOTE=multiweb;1530795]Here's my efforts from Sunday night. Bit disappointed with the seeing. Started sort of ok but ended up in pea soup pretty quick. Oh well, good training for the next one. There are a couple of things I'll do differently.

Great animations Marc, love them. Considering the conditions, you've done well.
Old 19-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Dave882 (David)

Great work Marc! Some good captures in there thanks for sharing!!
Old 19-08-2021, 07:41 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Thanks guys. All fixed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave882 View Post
Great work Marc! Some good captures in there thanks for sharing!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Quote:
Here's my efforts from Sunday night. Bit disappointed with the seeing. Started sort of ok but ended up in pea soup pretty quick. Oh well, good training for the next one. There are a couple of things I'll do differently.

Great animations Marc, love them. Considering the conditions, you've done well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hah, I was too enthralled watching to notice anything.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 20-08-2021, 03:41 PM
Dave882 (David)

Full Night Animation 15-16th August

It's pretty rough- but here's the full night 15-16th August 8:15pm - 4:45am (warts and all) animated! Better late than never right?

A bit of an epic task made very difficult by the lack of decent data, and I don't have the post processing skill to make it any prettier unfortunately - but i feel you get a bit of an idea of what it was really like on the night!! Final product probably not exactly how I'd envisaged but it was certainly a unique experience! The kind of thing you'd only ever do in the middle of an indefinite lockdown i suppose...

Full Animation HERE

Also did a separate animation of Europa moving OUT/IN of Ganymede's shadow HERE

10" LX50 on CGEM
ASI224mc - 1.8 Barlow - UV/IR Cut
ASIAIR Pro (60sec vids @ 5min(ish) intervals)
AS!3
Registax6
PIPP

Thanks for looking!
Dave
Old 20-08-2021, 03:47 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Great job guys, lots of processing time has gone into these
Old 20-08-2021, 07:00 PM
Finbar (Barry)

Quote:
It's pretty rough- but here's the full night 15-16th August 8:15pm - 4:45am (warts and all) animated! Better late than never right?

A bit of an epic task made very difficult by the lack of decent data, and I don't have the post processing skill to make it any prettier unfortunately - but i feel you get a bit of an idea of what it was really like on the night!! Final product probably not exactly how I'd envisaged but it was certainly a unique experience! The kind of thing you'd only ever do in the middle of an indefinite lockdown i suppose...

Full Animation HERE

Also did a separate animation of Europa moving OUT/IN of Ganymede's shadow HERE

10" LX50 on CGEM
ASI224mc - 1.8 Barlow - UV/IR Cut
ASIAIR Pro (60sec vids @ 5min(ish) intervals)
AS!3
Registax6
PIPP

Thanks for looking!
Dave
Thanks Dave.
Beautiful reminders of what I watched.

I do admire you astrophotographers, but think it takes a particular form of lunacy to do that type of work. Feel free to correct me. I really don’t have the time, and generally rely on a very good visual memory (autistic gift), but do regret not being able to share what I watched.
Old 20-08-2021, 07:44 PM
Dave882 (David)

Yep lunacy indeed!! To be honest (and if the conditions permit) I actually enjoy the visual more and I had the dual setup on Sunday night with binoviewers on a second scope. I think for me it was more about setting myself the challenge of learning a new skill during lockdown. I’m not trying to be the best but it is cool to have something to share with friends/family afterwards!
Old 21-08-2021, 06:55 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Yep lunacy indeed!! To be honest (and if the conditions permit) I actually enjoy the visual more and I had the dual setup on Sunday night with binoviewers on a second scope. I think for me it was more about setting myself the challenge of learning a new skill during lockdown. I’m not trying to be the best but it is cool to have something to share with friends/family afterwards!
Visual is one thing but imaging you can go deeper, sharper, see colors and keep a record. It doesn't replace visual but it complements it. There is also the technical/tinkering side of things with the gear and of course the processing that comes with imaging. It's the whole package. There's a bit for everyone in it.
Old 21-08-2021, 02:50 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

You guys probably know that but there is another Ganymede/Europa occultation Sunday night against the sky background this time well positioned @ 64degrees. Forecast is very iffy here in Sydney with possible rain but I'm so desperate that I'm even contemplating using an umbrella.
Old 21-08-2021, 05:24 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
You guys probably know that but there is another Ganymede/Europa occultation Sunday night against the sky background this time well positioned @ 64degrees. Forecast is very iffy here in Sydney with possible rain but I'm so desperate that I'm even contemplating using an umbrella.
Also followed by an double shadow transit of Europa and Ganymede about 4:00 to 6:00 am Monday morning. It may clear but , like last weekend, the jetstream wont be doing us any favours unfortunately. Will be looking anyway to see if it is worth imaging .
Old 21-08-2021, 06:05 PM
Dave882 (David)

Can I ask how you guys get reliable forecasts for the jet stream? And how far out can it be predicted?
Old 21-08-2021, 06:47 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Can I ask how you guys get reliable forecasts for the jet stream? And how far out can it be predicted?
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/char...t=Refresh+View

About 2 days ahead.
Old 21-08-2021, 07:57 PM
Dave882 (David)

Thanks Marc that’ll be very helpful
Old 22-08-2021, 04:29 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

All pred for tonight. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (GE.jpg)
146.6 KB51 views
Old 23-08-2021, 08:48 AM
Dave882 (David)

How’d you go Marc? I had a quick look about 10-12pm and the seeing was quite poor, then the clouds rolled in for a bit, then it started spitting rain. That was it for me. I did poke my head out a bit later and the clouds had partially cleared but didn’t have it in me to set back up…
Old 23-08-2021, 08:54 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

We got dudded again down in Melbourne - strong winds, thick clouds with just a couple of small holes to keep me out there. I got a few images of the moons approaching, but then it all clouded over and the moment was lost
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Ganymede-and-Europa-closing.gif)
5.7 KB44 views
Old 23-08-2021, 08:55 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Well last night was clear here and almost perfect if it wasn't for the seeing which got very bad after 23:00. It wasn't too good to start with but surprisingly had room to degrade much further. Apart from that it was perfect. Dry and quite warm. No wind and good transparency up ahead. I could smell and see smoke out west but it wasn't an issue. Did about 100 x 45s segments of 7000 frames. Still have to go through the data.

Anybody out last night? Any success?
Old 23-08-2021, 09:00 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
How’d you go Marc? I had a quick look about 10-12pm and the seeing was quite poor, then the clouds rolled in for a bit, then it started spitting rain. That was it for me. I did poke my head out a bit later and the clouds had partially cleared but didn’t have it in me to set back up…
I saw some lightning in the direction of Richmond but no rain here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
We got dudded again down in Melbourne - strong winds, thick clouds with just a couple of small holes to keep me out there. I got a few images of the moons approaching, but then it all clouded over and the moment was lost
Damn. Maybe you get better luck tonight. There's another interesting event. Here high wind and rain starting this arvo so last night was the last.