ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

w00t! I havent welcomed you yet! *slaps head*
my bad!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:34 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hey Thiink,

It's been a while. Have you made up your mind which scope yet?

Good luck with the decisions.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Thiink

Ok well I've pretty much decided on the 10" GSO dob from Andrews, hopefully ordering it before the end of the week. I called and they have the 10" in two prices; $649 and $749 with two different grades for the mirror (BK-7 and Suprax I take it?). I decided I'd go the 10" over the 8" to try and keep the aperture bug at bay hopefully for a little while (until the tracking bug sets in).

Now I just need to decide on some accessories and I'm done. Already have some star charts, just unsure what else to get (I've been reading but theres no real definitive list of items newbies must have). Maybe just a Chesire and a barlow perhaps.

The only thing that has me scared is centre spotting the beast. I've read a few articles on it linked from the forums but it still scares me. How did everyone else with an Andrews dob go with this? Was it as scary as I'm making it out to be.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:52 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Mine was centre spotted when it came. Check with Andrews and ask him if it is already done.

If not, the best thing I have heard of for centre spotting is one of those ring binder stickers (the one with the hole in the centre).

There are a lot of threads on accessories. All a bit confusing at first.

What do you want? A good range of EP's or filters or a barlow? Maybe a collimating tool?
Old 01-03-2005, 05:58 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally posted by Thiink
The only thing that has me scared is centre spotting the beast. I've read a few articles on it linked from the forums but it still scares me. How did everyone else with an Andrews dob go with this? Was it as scary as I'm making it out to be.
Yes, it's scary, but once it's done it's done. There is a real chance of stuffup though. I practised on a cheap smaller scope first. I'm still not sure if I got it sub-mm precise, but I did not want to make any more measurements lest I damage the surface. The mirror cell & mount might be a tight fit on the tube which makes taking it off and putting it on all the more scary. I'd much prefer a mirror centre spotted by the factory (also because they should know where the optical centre is).
Old 01-03-2005, 09:13 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

An easy way to centre spot your main ; With a pair of compasses, draw a circle the same diam. as your mirror on a piece of thin cardboard.Cut out. "Slightly enlarge" the pivot (central) hole and place the disc on your mirror (carefully). With a texta, put a spot on the mirror. Remove the disc and CENTRE your reinforcing ring on the mark. EASY.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:33 PM
blackpearl

My 12" Dob from Andrews has a spot on the mirror. I have a laser collimator and followed the directions from a website on Orion telescopes. Bit confusing but worked through it slowly and the changes were minimal.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Thiink

Quote:
Originally posted by ballaratdragons
It's been a while. Have you made up your mind which scope yet?
Posting that 1min before I made the post this afternoon (which took me a few mins at work) is scary! Thanks for checking on me.

In regards to what I posted this afternoon; I can bet I will change my mind again before the money changes hands (possibly tomorrow), I'm good at that. I have my mind set on one option, then change it 20 seconds later. The options are 10" with only one extra accessory, and an 8" with $250 worth of accessories. If I got the 10" I would have to stick with the eye pieces it comes with for a few weeks but seems more viable in the long run. Then again $250 worth of accessories now seems good as well. Plus centre spotting a $399 scope compared to a $649 scope seems better too (you can see how edgy it's got me!). Either way I will get a collimating tool of some sort when I order.

I will let you guys know what happens when I've ordered. Either way I guess I can't go wrong, trying to make up my mind is the hard part.

ps. I have a weird question; how important are (non-moon) filters for colour blind people? Colours are all the same to me..

pps. It appears from what I've read on the forums that the 12" GSO dobs come centre spotted, I wonder why the smaller ones don't?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:27 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Thiink, maybe cost factor applies re; centre spotting the smaller t'scopes??? As for your question about coloured filters, can't say as I'm not C/B. They should make a diff. when you view the planets tho. Should bring out more details. Can you borrow some,before you buy?
A Cheshire collimator is all that you need. About $60.00. L.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:26 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Thiink,

The eyepieces that come with the scope will keep you going for quite a while. There are probably more important accessories to get before you start on the eyepiece bug. Get a handle on the type of viewing you prefer before parting with the hard earned on extra eyepieces - this can get expensive.

As for the filters and colourblindness they only restrict the wavelengths passed through so the image is highlighted in some way. I don't understand what colourblind people see in these wavelengths but, if they can see the colour in some way the image should be enhanced for them as well. This is another place to wait and see what you need before buying, then possibly buy one and try it.

My tip would be to go with the 10", a good barlow and a cheshire collimating eyepiece and to not get too carried away with the extras, they will accumulate over time by themselves.

Cheers
Old 02-03-2005, 07:40 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Agree with Rob. Especially this bit:

Quote:
The eyepieces that come with the scope will keep you going for quite a while. There are probably more important accessories to get before you start on the eyepiece bug. Get a handle on the type of viewing you prefer before parting with the hard earned on extra eyepieces - this can get expensive
and this bit:

Quote:
My tip would be to go with the 10", a good barlow and a cheshire collimating eyepiece and to not get too carried away with the extras, they will accumulate over time by themselves
Old 02-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Important accessories for the 10 inch dob

1: A chair or stool to sit on of the right height. I took a saw to a wooden bar stool
2: A trolly with inflatable tyres for carting it about in one piece.
Shifting it without one gets old pretty quickly.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Thiink

Ok well I went ahead and finally brought something (finally I hear you say)! I ended up with the GSO 10" dob from AndrewsCom, which comes with the four eye pieces (and free binoculars ). Collimator and barlow will need to wait a week.

I can tell you now that Lee doesnt mind a chat, he's a nice bloke. Seems to be in the business for the right reasons which is refreshing.

I rang AndrewsCom and it was due to leave this afternoon. With any luck it may be here before the weekend.. then again I can only guess what the weather is going to do if it does turn up before tomorrow afternoon (BoM and wunderground arent showing promising outlooks!). I guess if it rains or if its cloudy all weekend it gives me a chance to build one of the astrochairs like in the projects page.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

*Fixed the URL

Last edited by Thiink; 03-03-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:11 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Congrats Thiink & Good luck with the weather!
Quote:
Originally posted by RAJAH235
... place the disc on your mirror (carefully)
Rajah, That is the scary bit!
Old 03-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Haha you roaches......bad weather on the way....another Dob to be delivered in your area.

BTW well done on the Dob.....
Old 04-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Thiink

It's good to see I'm no different to any other new dob (well telescope) owner, I think this just about sums it up:

http://users.on.net/sjeriksson/img/i...ace/clouds.jpg

(grr right over me, its almost like it was planned!)

I went home at lunch and had the parcel delivery message (hooray). Went and picked it up in my parents Camry (decided to leave the SS at home), and almost wasnt able to bring it home at all! The box for the OTA is HUGE!* It was only after putting the passanger side front seat all the way forward and down, and ended up having to have the rear drivers side window down to make it fit (sort of). It should fit into the SS easy enough as it's a fair bit wider.

I realised I didnt actually give preference when ordering the dob in terms of EP's. I ended up with a 4mm and 40mm series 500 (both of these seem useless, are they?), and a 9mm and 25mm GS plossl's. I could almost swear that Lee told me that the scope would come with 10x32 binoculars as well when I ordered, but got 10x25. O well, they are handy for bushwalking.

First light report is going to have to wait until at least tomorrow night. I guess thats a good thing though as I have to be at a (what ever the opposite of a house warming party is) party tonight and I dont want to annoy the misses, well at least until the clouds go! I can take my time setting it up tomorrow, and can try and get a trolley and maybe start on the astroseat!

* OTA box = 1395x480mm
Old 04-03-2005, 07:50 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Well, you should not let the excitement go to your head too much, and let Lee know about not getting the EPs you wanted and the binos not being up to spec. I got 10x32's with my 8" Dob.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

I wouldn't be too concerned the 10 x 32 bino I got with my EX dob are only good for bird watching anyway.....

The eyepiece's I would be asking about for sure......not many people would want a 40mm for Dob.....15 & 6 mm would have been handy...
Old 04-03-2005, 08:11 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Congrats, but definitely return the 4mm. It will be next to useless. The 40mm also is useless in a fast scope.

Get a 15 and 32mm if you get a choice.

Can't wait to see it all put together and read your first light report!