ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 AM
mozzie (Peter)

being that you live in perth ive just bought a 8" collaspable dob from nvt for $499 +del you may be able to pick it up yourself i think there in perth my scope is to take camping and star parties my main scope stays in a dome they are easy to use and the detail is great although my eyepieces are the best televue witch i use on my main scope hope my advice helps
mozzie
Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 AM
h45e (Anthony)

Dont worrie i am going to wait for a bit. But my photography means, if I find something interesting I am looking at, I will whip out the dig cam and take a photo. But my mrs said im only allowed 1 telescope, so trying to find best bang for buck (she didnt say anything about eye pieces or mounts ;o)
Old 01-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Reality check time.

I personally think that anyone recommending a package containing an eq5 mount or lesser to carry a scope for astrophotography is wasting your money on something you will quickly want to dispose of and upgrade once you start dabbling in AP and discover how limiting and frustrating its shortcomings are.

HEQ5 minimum, and thats to carry a small scope.

Now once you price in what a workable mount for AP costs, you have two choices, treble your budget, or use your existing budget to get the best visual bang for the buck you can get.... ie a dobsonian.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkler View Post
Reality check time.

I personally think that anyone recommending a package containing an eq5 mount or lesser to carry a scope for astrophotography is wasting your money on something you will quickly want to dispose of and upgrade once you start dabbling in AP and discover how limiting and frustrating its shortcomings are.

HEQ5 minimum, and thats to carry a small scope.

Now once you price in what a workable mount for AP costs, you have two choices, treble your budget, or use your existing budget to get the best visual bang for the buck you can get.... ie a dobsonian.
You are in reality, correct, but one doesn't have to take super duper astro images either. A cheaper mount/scope will still let you take images, they just won't be super great due to the limitations of the gear. I don't think the OP realises how much work goes into making great astro images. It's not a matter of snap, all done. Hours and hours making subs, then stacking them, then PP in Photoshop etc. That's if you're serious about it all. As long as the OP realises he'll get OK, but not great images with a basic and cheaper setup, that's OK.

If the OP wants to do it on the cheap, and expects super performance, then he's in for a real reality check and disappointment (not to mention frustration) imho.

Too many people get a cheap telescope on a whim, expect miracles, and then get greatly disappointed with it all and pack the hobby in. That's the sad truth of it.

Dave
Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 PM
h45e (Anthony)

I do relise how much work goes into making gret pics, Ive got a stargazing blu-ray to know how good pics could look. But im just after "happy snaps"
Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 AM
h45e (Anthony)

I thought I let ppl know of my decison... Ill be getting a 10" Dobsonian Telescopeand then save up some more $$$ and get a HEQ5/HEQ6 later.

Now just need to decide what dobsonian to get.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:40 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

A 10 inch dob is a good visual choice. Well done and congratulations!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:49 PM
h45e (Anthony)

Her is my final decision:

10" Dob (would like reccomendations on what Dob to get)
A barlow lens
An ND filter
Old 02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Davekyn (David)
Loves Staring Into Space!

Good call on the 10" dob...I find I can manage with a 12", therefore can only see the choice of a 10" a far better choice than the 8". Ofcourse if your driving a mini, an 8" may even to be big.

Whatever Dob you get, you will soon find out just how much there is to learn. When I first joined IIS all I had on my mind was taking photos as well. I even rushed the purchase of an ED80 refractor, but very soon found out that I would need $Thousands$ more to do a proper job. I now regard my ED80 as a premium grab and go with an alt/azi3 mount...But truth be told,I'll still jam the 12"Dob in the car as well. I just can't help myself when I do have a chance to up my credit limit, I'll get the extras I need then. In the mean time I'm having heaps of fun finding objects and learning all the deeper stuff on how the celestial sphere works ect... It might be worth noting that unless you know where to look, you won't see where to point a small refractor for imaging...not quite sure about that, but there is in fact, things we should learn, befor jumping in the deep end.
Good luck with it though...Stick with the 10" over the 8" if you can
Later
Dave
Old 02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Davekyn (David)

Now your talking...I kind of wish I had a truss or collaspable. You may find such a design with a 10" very practicle if you don't have much space in you vechile. What are you driving?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:16 PM
h45e (Anthony)

Im driving a 2004 Mitsubitshi Magna TL AWD model.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 PM
h45e (Anthony)

I just got quoted for the stuff I want

10006-009 – SkyWatcher 10” Dobsonian - $829
10401-016 – York 2x barlow lens - $29

10406-072 – 25% ND filter - $15
Freight - $170
Total -$1043

That price good?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Looks OK. Just one other point about the vehicle. Thebases on these scopes are the hard part to fit in a car for transport. Make sure that you check out the base. On the 8" I am using, if I had a small sedan, i would have trouble.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 PM
h45e (Anthony)

I dont mind putting it on the back seat. We only r family of 2 in a "family car" but i might try the portable dob instead.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 AM
pgc hunter

H45e, is your car a station wagon?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Barrykgerdes

It's surprising what will fit in a standard 4WD. I saw a 25" Obsession loaded into the back of a 4WD. Including its trolley. I think the ladder and the trolley ramps went on the roof rack.

Baz
Old 03-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Davekyn (David)

My 12" dob's Base fits easily through the back doors of my little 4cyl Sedan. I then simply strap it in place like a person.
Those SW Bases look thiner, longer. Not sure about those...mines a GSO. You'll be right.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:19 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Congats Anthony

Dave
Old 03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
h45e (Anthony)

My car is a "family sedan".
Some companies r telling me to get a collapsible dob, but i dont know if that would be any good, plus im worried if u need a hood to cover the removable one.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
pgc hunter

the 10" tube will fit across the back seat but the base will probably have to ride up front.